hunting beds based off wind direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

hunting beds based off wind direction

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 pm

In an area like this where there could potentially be multiple bed locations, would you guys agree that with a north west wind the buck is most likely to not bed in the oxbow of the river(5) but in the small bedding areas along the oxbows in the creek(1,2) so that they are facing the water and catching scent from the woods behind them and then with a SE or E wind there likely to bed in the oxbow(5)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: hunting beds based off wind direction

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:29 am

Your "N/W wind" looks to be blowing from the S/E ? eITHER WAY, i THINK THE OXBOW IS TO BIG TO BE A USEFUL SPOT TO BED, I would concentrate on the other bedding.
Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:03 am

I think his map is upside down. North is at the 6 o clock position and west is at the 3 o clock position. Everything else Dan said I agree with! :D
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:45 am

I have done a lot of river hunting. I don't like the spot a whole lot. I like a spot that gives multiple opportunities. To me that is a dead end area for normal deer travel. Not to say you couldn't kill a buck there. That would be a taper bank and a cut bank on the North side.

Not a good escape route for a buck. It might be ok if the river was small and the buck could dash across it fast. It has been my experience bucks don't use the river to escape unless it is shallow with little current, and not very wide. it just takes too long and too much exposure for the buck. A bucks first instinct is to get out of sight.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:58 am

Stupid Question: But why does #5 being too big make this section a less than desired bedding area?
Thanks guys!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 am

GloryDaysDesign wrote:Stupid Question: But why does #5 being too big make this section a less than desired bedding area?
Thanks guys!

Danger can come undetected from to many directions. Bucks prefer small bends where they can see, smell, or hear anything coming into the oxbow.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:58 pm

My bad i had the map flipped i was viewing it from that angle on google earth..thanks for the advice..would these be examples of oxbows you guys would be interested in? or is any oxbow that is next to a river too large for the deer likely to cross unlikely for bucks to bed in?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:53 pm

The bend on the left looks good with the large tree in it and could hold deer with SW wind. He will smell behind, and watch inside the oxbow where no surprises are likely.
Use that scenario on a different oxbow with your common wind direction, I'm guessing NW. Ridge points and oxbows should point SE if you want bedding with NW winds.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm

One of the best oxbows I ever hunted had a pretty good size river of about 20 yards across with a fast deep current and they crossed the river pretty easly....

I think you need to simply look at the spot from the deers perspective. Think, could i escape danger here? could I sense danger coming? If your answer is no or maybe, move on... I also don't think your going to get a grasp for oxbows until you go out and see some bedding in one 1st hand.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:16 pm

awesome thanks for the tips guys, i no i google earth these spots to death since i cant get out there to look before the season starts, i cant wait to get home and see if there's beds

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”