Hunting from the ground in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

Hunting from the ground in hill country

Unread postby ZSV » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:13 am

This fall will be my first Beast style season. I've been pinching pennies for either a LW or XOP setup, but after realizing there are other things I need more (new broadheads and quiver) it looks like all of my hunts will be from the ground.
I read the "success from the ground" thread and got a ton of awesome info from it, but there wasn't really any examples of tactics in hill country. All of my scouting this spring was done thinking I would be up a tree and one of the best spots I found was in hill country.
How do you experienced ground hunters get it done in hill country with thermals? Would I be better off not trying that spot and just stick to the flat areas I scouted?
I would love to hear some examples of how you've made it work! Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Hunting from the ground in hill country

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 am

Hunting off the ground in hill country does pose some challenges but there are also some benefits you can't find in flat land. You can get a bit above deer movement, above eye level, just with terrain in some areas. That helps from being picked off. I also have found good setups where I sit on top of big boulders on hillsides.

Another way in hill country is set up in ditches and ravines, that helps channel your scent in one direction, but that has a greater risk of being spotted in my experience. Deer seem to be good at picking off something unfamiliar in a ditch, maybe because all predators like to use ditches for travel routes. You can overcome that with a rough blind or ghillie.

The main limitation like you suggest is hunting those leeward slopes on the ground. I have found you can still hunt many of these spots but the hunts are higher impact. Many deer that come by may smell you with your scent being swirled around in that thermal tunnel area but if you are set up on a rut cruising funnel where you really only expect bucks and are also set up to be able to shoot right before they smell you that needn't be a big deal. A lot of bucks have been killed by people who just went out there and sat down by a tree in a spot that just felt really good.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:11 am

I got lucky twice hunting from the ground in the hills. I say 'lucky' because I really think it was more coincidence and little bit of skill. The buck I got last Halloween was one of those hunts. I knew a steep ridge line well that deer often traveled along the 1/3rd elevation. I felt confident in my ability to play the wind and that is all I was really banking on. I planned this hunt like any other hunt. No, I was NOT gonna set up in a tree this hunt, but that didn't cause me to change my game plan either. Limited time of about an hour to hunt caused me to ditch the hand climber and find a tree wide enough to stand up against to break up my humanly figure, and stay downwind in the thermal tunnel. It was the least I could do to TRY to make the best of the time I had. The ridge was an east-west ridge with a south facing slope. The sun was out that morning, the wind was steady out of the NW. I knew I could play the thermals and wind by stationing myself on the 1/3rd elevation on the leeward side. I came across a well beaten cruise trail that morning and stood a little ways above it. I wanted the rising thermals coming up that sun beaten hillside to pull my scent up to the top of the ridge away from the trail. It didn't work the way I hoped. The buck I shot came from behind me quartering away to my left at about 20 yards. He didn't catch my scent at all and was able to put an arrow thru him no problem. I figured I was right on the outer edge of the thermal tunnel where the NW wind was blowing my scent stream within the rising thermals straight up and back toward me.

The other time I killed from the ground was early November two seasons ago and I was walking out of the woods after a long afternoon hunt and a small buck chased a nice mature doe right to me as I was trying to sneak out. I think deer hormones were the reason I got lucky that time. lol!

My experiences have opened my mind. Ground tactics have been done for many years by many other regular guys out there. Modern hunting shows and magazines will tell you the only way to kill a deer is 30 feet up a tree. Nonsense :roll: . I say go against the grain and give it a try. Good luck!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:58 pm

JoeRE wrote:Hunting off the ground in hill country does pose some challenges but there are also some benefits you can't find in flat land. You can get a bit above deer movement, above eye level, just with terrain in some areas. That helps from being picked off. I also have found good setups where I sit on top of big boulders on hillsides.

Another way in hill country is set up in ditches and ravines, that helps channel your scent in one direction, but that has a greater risk of being spotted in my experience. Deer seem to be good at picking off something unfamiliar in a ditch, maybe because all predators like to use ditches for travel routes. You can overcome that with a rough blind or ghillie.

The main limitation like you suggest is hunting those leeward slopes on the ground. I have found you can still hunt many of these spots but the hunts are higher impact. Many deer that come by may smell you with your scent being swirled around in that thermal tunnel area but if you are set up on a rut cruising funnel where you really only expect bucks and are also set up to be able to shoot right before they smell you that needn't be a big deal. A lot of bucks have been killed by people who just went out there and sat down by a tree in a spot that just felt really good.

Lots of good information there. I hunted on the ground exclusively for years before I took to the trees a few years ago and I killed a lot of deer on the ground. I still only use a treestand for the archery season. When I switch to the gun I hang up the treestand and go back on the ground.

Break up your outline and pay very close attention to the wind. It won't take long and you will figure out the best way to set up. I used to carry a piece of camo fabric with me and still do on occasion.

You can often find used treestands on Craigslist. Whatever you do do not skimp on the safety equipment. Your life isn't worth the few bucks difference. Buy the best and most comfortable harness you can.someday your life may depend on it.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:24 pm

I've had lots of success hunting off the ground. I discovered the Hunting Beast in the middle of the season last year and tried Dan's tactics from the ground and was able to get very close to deer multiple times. It is certainly doable.

I have also taken some bucks by crawling up on a tree that fell into the fork of another tree. I took my first buck doing this at 12 yards.

As someone else has already said you can often find an advantage within the terrain, also I have found some pretty wicked wind advantages in the terrain.

You might also look into some creative ways to get yourself a Beast Style functioning treestand!

Good luck!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:24 am

I wouled buy a $30 welded treestand and try to make it quiet,... Killing bucks off the ground is very hard in hill country, especially big bucks. Bedding and travel can often be right in the wind tunnel where they can smell above and below. Its hard enough trying to get your scent away from them 30 feet up... From the ground its very very hard.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for your help guys!

Not sure why I didn't consider that, Dan...I already have a cheap stand collecting dust in my garage. I'm allowed to hang a stand on public 7 days prior to opening day, and I really only have one real good area in hill country (my other areas are mostly flat and I'll hunt them from the ground). I think I'll hope for an east wind (the bed should be used on a west wind) before the season and hang the stand then, minus the bottom stick. Then, if I don't kill the buck, I'll move the stand to a rut funnel in the same area and wait until the time is right.

Thanks again for your help everyone! Only 74 more days to the season!
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:44 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Lots of good information there. I hunted on the ground exclusively for years before I took to the trees a few years ago and I killed a lot of deer on the ground. I still only use a treestand for the archery season. When I switch to the gun I hang up the treestand and go back on the ground.

Break up your outline and pay very close attention to the wind. It won't take long and you will figure out the best way to set up. I used to carry a piece of camo fabric with me and still do on occasion.

You can often find used treestands on Craigslist. Whatever you do do not skimp on the safety equipment. Your life isn't worth the few bucks difference. Buy the best and most comfortable harness you can.someday your life may depend on it.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Memorial Day weekend I purchased a "new" set of 4 LW sticks for $50. The guy was getting out of hunting due a severe shoulder injury. He had the sticks for a couple years, but never used them once. He had a few stands also, but they were Millenieum (sp?) stands which I am not a fan for a run and gun style of hunting. Look around, there are deals out there. Also, keep an eye on garage and rummage sales. Just make sure you carefully inspect all straps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”