Stalking beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Stalking beds

Unread postby BHC » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Just curious if you guys ever try stalking beds as a last resort. Or maybe stalk up on 6-12 beds on a morning or midday when you have poor weather ( wind,rain,etc.). Seems like wet windy conditions might be easier circumstances to sneak.. Also if you bump them you could try bump n dump or assume they will be at the next good bedding over... ?? Anyone stalked and shot a good buck from a prescouted bed?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Re: Stalking beds

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:04 pm

I have come close a few times but it's extremely hard with a bow. I find really windy and wet days give me the best odds and even then it's a very low percentage aggressive move. Mature bucks are masters of their domain and even younger bucks are hard to sneak close enough for a bow shot. That last 50 yards is tough but not impossible if you know the exact location of the bed or have a visual of the buck. It can be done but takes more patience than most can handle. Odds are much higher with a gun.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Bucky! Post your video. Whenever I think I'd bed stalking, I think of that video. I've stalked beds with very minimal success. Tough, even with wind. Still will continue to try though!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:03 am

I've stalked and shot 2 bedded bucks in the swamp. Both situations weather was rainy first time and the second windy. Both bucks were shot as the raised from the bed. 38yds and 28 yds. It isn't high percentage. Both of the bucks were taken from the same bed. 2 years a part. I was going to use my iPhone to video last season buck, but the water I had to wade in got into my otter box and soaked my phone. I now have a life proof case...lesson learned. Both times I waited over an hour for them to rise from the bed.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:48 am

I have stalked a few bedded bucks over the years. I remember one in particular. The buck (150 class 8 point) was on public ground about 50 yards off the road. I was sneaking towards the buck. Some clown coming home from church drove by and saw me. He turned around and stopped his tan Rambler and threw rocks at the buck and scared it off. That was about 35 years ago, I still remember that tan Rambler.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:51 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I've stalked and shot 2 bedded bucks in the swamp. Both situations weather was rainy first time and the second windy. Both bucks were shot as the raised from the bed. 38yds and 28 yds. It isn't high percentage. Both of the bucks were taken from the same bed. 2 years a part. I was going to use my iPhone to video last season buck, but the water I had to wade in got into my otter box and soaked my phone. I now have a life proof case...lesson learned. Both times I waited over an hour for them to rise from the bed.

Good job on those stalks and kills WA!!! :clap: :clap:

Got any hero pics?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 am

I have done it, but with bow I have not gotten a mature buck yet. Got a few with the gun right in there beds that are among my top scoring bucks. The biggest I could of shot with a bow if that was the weopon I brought.
Its a solid tactic for gun hunting in certain terrains, in other terrains its nearly impossible. It helps to understand where they bed on what winds, and which way they are facing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 am

I've tried a few times with no luck, mostly because they beds I have stalked have been empty. :oops: However I have gotten darn close to bucks going in blind or blowing them out of beds when I thought they might be using a different bed close by so it is something that is very possible and I hope to score a buck this way one of these years.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 am

stash59 wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:I've stalked and shot 2 bedded bucks in the swamp. Both situations weather was rainy first time and the second windy. Both bucks were shot as the raised from the bed. 38yds and 28 yds. It isn't high percentage. Both of the bucks were taken from the same bed. 2 years a part. I was going to use my iPhone to video last season buck, but the water I had to wade in got into my otter box and soaked my phone. I now have a life proof case...lesson learned. Both times I waited over an hour for them to rise from the bed.

Good job on those stalks and kills WA!!! :clap: :clap:

Got any hero pics?

Check my bio, both are in amongst those

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:10 am

Great replies here, Ive often wondered this myself. If I was hunting public land with only limited time, Id be very tempted to try this on several known beds. I know it would be lots of fun, successful or not.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:47 am

That's all I hunt..public. So sometimes you have to make it happen. And if I feel the odds are in my favor, I go for it. Since its evening time and I have plenty of time to close the remaining yards I take all the time I need to make my moves. I don't care if I get wet crawling etc, I want that buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”