Scare them off or Sit tight?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gibby
500 Club

Scare them off or Sit tight?

Unread postby Gibby » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:56 am

I was just wondering what approach other people take at the end of shooting light if a shot hasn't quite presented itself but there are deer around your stand?
I am going on the assumption that the deer are not aware of your presence when shooting light runs out.
Is there a tip or trick you use to harmlessly scare or move the deer out of the area so that you can get down without giving your stand (tree) location away? (something I would think would be extremely important to guys hunting in swamps with limited trees to choose from)
Do you sit tight quietly and wait for the deer to move out of the area naturally so that you can perhaps hunt again the next evening or morning?
Do you just tear down and move out not worrying about the disturbance?
Does it make a difference if the deer are does vs bucks, do you act differently?

Its has been my practice to sit tight quietly until I feel the deer around me have moved out of the area, however this has led to me sitting in the stand for considerable amounts of time after shooting light on occasion. This has also been a mixed bag of results and I sometimes get out with what I would call minimal disturbance (no foot stomping ,deer snorts or bolting deer) and other times all heck breaks loose :D

Just curious how others deal with this type of situation, any tips or tricks you could share and how does your approach work for you?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scare them off or Sit tight?

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:07 am

If its a target animal I would wait for it to leave... If its a non-target animal who cares? just get down. I should note I don't have this happen much if I am hunting staging near the bed... When you hunt over a food source is when this issue arises.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:03 pm

I hardly ever hunt over food sources Dan, unless its an isolated food source or occasionally during the rut.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:12 pm

I usually just wait for them to shuffle on through.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:14 pm

If there is a mature buck ill wait it out but non target deer i will lightly scare them off. they usually run 100 yds and watch me as i leave
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Has anyone ever had a friend or family pick them up on a tractor, I read or saw somewhere a guy did this because the tractor was a common occurrence on that property.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:38 pm

x2 with Dans response. Mainly only have issues over food plot

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:22 pm

X2 on the food source. A coyote howl will naturally spook them here in NC. I used to carry a howler call for this reason. Now to save carrying so much Iv practiced mouth howling.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:15 am

mattyq2402 wrote:Has anyone ever had a friend or family pick them up on a tractor, I read or saw somewhere a guy did this because the tractor was a common occurrence on that property.

Ive done this. Ive had people pick me up on the quad, UTV or truck. It can work very well. Just get ready to climb down so when the deer start to run off, you climb down quick. When they stop 50-100 yards out they look back and watch. I like to be down the tree by then.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 am

Otherwise, I wait them out. Doe family groups will only watch this once or twice in a permanent stand before getting really paranoid in that area, or will avoid it altogether.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”