Breaking down a farm into pieces = new info

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Breaking down a farm into pieces = new info

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Id like to bring up a farm that has been hunted much the same for several years due to the fact that I didnt have the beast knowledge I am learning now and if only I knew who on here mentioned the phrase "Need to look at the land for what it is, not for what you want it to be" id owe you a case of beer because those words are slapping me in the face showing more and more that the need to change my hunting style is now.

For years I have been hunting this farm and today I sat down and looked over an aerial as if I was a new man and came up with som new information id like to share. I've never broken a piece down into sections to scout better or notice the out of the way hideouts but wanted to give it a try..

As you can see in the picture below I have the farm split into 5 sections with the top North white section being private I do not have permission to. I have hunted this farm for years and know it very well... or so i thought.

#1. this is the main woods. cut and dry its the place i hunt 95% of the time. there is a small finger jutting into the field that has bedding. I hunt outside of it down in a creek bottom and have had close chances and good mature bucks on cam over the years.

#2. Really not much to this section. the tree lines are thin, farmer uses the area frequently and has mainly been a turkey killing area.

#3. As the picture shows, this is all short pasture where the likeliness of mature buck use is minimal its basically a dead zone

#4. to the west of the 4 number is much like #2 (open terrain, frequent farmer access) BUT there is a small rub line in a 50yd strip of short saplings I encountered last year.. This didnt make sense to me because its not near anything that makes sense so I disregarded it.

#5. As you can see, this section is different colour because Ive never looked at it until now. its a very thick creek bottom that is annoying and hard to get around in so its never touched. It joins onto the neighbouring farm and out of my control. I sat looking this over and thought "why wouldnt a mature buck hide back in this thick corner, its never touched" I quick scouted it today to see what it was all about. It was thick and miserable to navigate but The north pocket of this section is a low bowl with shoulder height brush and grass (perfect bedding) the deer can hear you coming from all directions. As the map shows, there is trails leading out of this back pocket and the red X is a scrape on the strip of trees coming south(on my land). This also seems to make sense why there is a rub line in section #4. the pink X is a tree under 85 yds from this bedding pocket looking over the scrape and the only spot i can hunt in this corner. On a side note, further west off the map the creeks runs eventually coming to a road and more bush on the other side. This spot in the road has been known for years to be the high percentage spot of vehicle/deer collisions because of the movement from farm to farm. Well the corner i have newly discovered is part of the funnel structure that deer likely are using on their way towards the road.

Now, seasoned hunters do you think Im navigating this correctly with the new found information? do you have suggestions? does this seem like a likely mature buck spot? the neighbouring land to the north is hunted hard and used as the young boys dirt bike adventure area

I put this together because of my new found teachings of breaking down a farm and hunting it for what it is and now what I want it to be ( likely why I havent killed a mature deer off this farm since ive hunted it) but I also hope it helps others break down their own farms. This is how i will be breaking down any new land to scout so i see everything.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Breaking down a farm into pieces = new info

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Unless that aerial is very deceiving on the amount of cover along those creeks, I like section #3 a lot for rut movement and quite possibly bedding.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Is anyone hunting the other place with the x?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Quite honestly u hunted the most in area #1 like 95% you said. Think about that. If bucks are still living it's because they know where you are 95% of the time. They might slip up and you get a almost. But the ones that live to be old don't slip up much.

The oxbows in #3 are worth a look. I have had good luck in areas void of trees. #3 had lots of hard edge as well. I like certain areas of all zones but with out walking it a aerial shows only so much

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Is anyone hunting the other place with the x?

Yes, but to a certain extent, they only gun hunt out of large blinds set-up on field edges but due to their kids constantly dirtbiking the fields id say its not different then me hunting spot #1 95% of the time... deer have likely caught on.

Spot #1 is only hunting during the pre rut and rut due to bucks coming around the check the doe bedding. other than that, I dont hunt that spot.

Now, I am not surprised with the comments on section #3 but the aerial paints the picture a bit incorrectly. I can see deer using this as edge habitat during the night to move around but the brush on the ground is low and not thick and the funnels look much better on paper then in person
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:41 am

Dan if you happen to come across this id be interested to hear your response as well. more the merrier
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:55 am

Nice Breakdown, gotta pay attention to those over looked spots, especially if they are thick and nasty to access.
Sounds like you have a good new spot but dont go spending 95% of your time in it or it will quickly burn it out.
Have you thought about or do you have permission to put in food plots in areas 2,3 & 4? It might allow you more stand opportunities where you can intercept them on their way to the food so that you can switch things up so the deer wont pattern you as easily?
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 am

One other thing to note, I have killed 2 of my biggest in areas where trees were not taller than 25 feet or so...definitely not big enough for a tree stand. I think bucks love to travel in overgrown/brushy field type areas. I have seen a lot of bucks doing this.
I am not the nearly the best but I'd advise kicking back with binos or a spotting scope and observing throughout the summer of you can in the evenings. See where they come out, etc. It looks like a great place to be able to do that on. Bucks will be bedded where you least expect very often...could easily be in the scrubby areas.

You can also take advantage of the gun hunters pressuring deer to you in 5. This happens on one place I hunt, it's lonely in October but gets busy in November and December from surrounding properties.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”