Doe in Heat Behavior

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Apex

Doe in Heat Behavior

Unread postby Apex » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:58 pm

GPS studies have tracked does traveling long distances during the rut. Would like to hear your thoughts on mature doe behavior in peak of rut and how mature bucks associate with them. Can/will a mature buck steer a doe where he wants her or is he completely at her mercy. Are there places where bucks tend does year after year ("breeding grounds") due to something unique the terrain offers? This site challenges the status quo so I'd love to hear some wild ideas on this.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Doe in Heat Behavior

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm

I've seen adult does in heat alone searching for a buck. I've called in lone does with a buck grunt during the rut also. They will show up at primary scrape areas and linger around waiting for a buck. I know a mature buck will try and steer a doe away from the rest of the herd that's why they are seen in odd locations.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Bump.

I'm interested in these questions also. I've heard references to "does acting funny" when in heat, and I've also read similar studies about doe travel. But since I've never seen it in person, I would love to have people chime in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 pm

I always love seeing a buck have a doe "pinned" out in the middle of a cut field. He won't let her in the woods because he knows she might lose him in there. We have a buddy that is a cop where we hunt. As soon as he starts to see bucks with does pinned out in fields, we know there are hot does around.

Still remember a trip down to Southern Illinois four years ago for gun season. For the last two hours, every field has a buck with a doe in it. My buddy and I still talk about that magical morning a couple times a year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”