When do you start switching to the rut tactics?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

When do you start switching to the rut tactics?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:55 am

With the rut approching fast, When do you start focusing on doe bedding areas, funnels and other rut techniques?

dreaming bucks

Re: When do you start switching to the rut tactics?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:01 am

Black Squirrel wrote:With the rut approching fast, When do you start focusing on doe bedding areas, funnels and other rut techniques?

I'm going to try and hold off with that until Nov 1st.... Just because that's when I've really seen it get amped up in past years. Meaning bucks chasing doe's, and just really looking like things are going good... Until then, I'm going to focus on getting a big boy leaving his bed a little early for the next week...
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:09 pm

i agree with dreaming bucks with the exception of maybe the last 3 days of october if they are cold
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Depends on where I am hunting... Most of southern and Eastern Wisconsin I concentrate those tactics the 1st week of November
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:17 pm

I play it by ear, depends on when we get that first really good cold front of the season...so long as its Oct 20th or later.I've already seen chasing and have more scrapes than I normally see at this time of year for some reason.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:27 pm

I am not trying it yet. I am still trying to set up on bucks where I think they are bedding. I was debating hunting a saddle verse a high ground bench tonight. I am going with the bench as it leads from a tight point given the wnw wind tomorrow. BUT that saddle is calling my name and it was loaded with big buck rubs and scrapes last winter when I scouted it.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:29 am

In my woods I've saw more scrapes and rubs this year then I've saw the last 4 years combined. Yesterday afternoon I put up a new stand and hunted It till dark. It's right off of a huge doe bedding area. I'm thinking a good buck beds In this huge bedding area too so I figure why not hunt It here and there now. Saw 10 doe's and fawns In my sit yesterday, 5 of them deer came out of this bedding area. All In all though It's a tad early for rut hunting but It's getting to be time here shortly to keep an eye on the scrapes out there In my opinion.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:49 am

I am going to hunt the buck beds up until halloween then make the switch, I am stuck at work Nov 1-5 but after that its 9 days of vacation and rut tactics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”