Veg is the Edge for ground bowhunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

Veg is the Edge for ground bowhunting

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:18 am

hey everyone so I looked over some ground hunting threads and some guys where asking about ghillie suits, leafy ones verse the burlap mess ones and guys where deciding on what to use to be more successful, if someone posted this method allready than delete but otherwise this might help some of you out..as far as ground hunting and ghillies go you want to blend in with what is behind you and have a screen infront of you to block you from the deer, the best way of doing this is to take the vegetation from the ground your hunting, set up in a spot that has a good front screen i.e bushes/tall grass anything you can shoot over or through easy, ideally you want a screen that you can burn through ( look through the holes of the bushes and focus on whats behind it) this way you aren't exposing yourself to whats behind the screen, if you guys watched dan's video of him hanging the lone wolf stand he uses his tree to screen him from the deer, same concept just this time your sitting behind it so you want something you can see around/through without moving. i can go into how to do this with optics and eyesight if you guys have questions on it, next and just as important is your backdrop, you need to set up so that you have something to blend in with, if your hunting a treeline and you have wide open space behind you, you are going to stick out like a sore thumb, now for the ghillie part, you can buy all these suits and honestly your wasting your money, all you need is a base layer i.e green shirt/camo whatever pants you want you could get away with jeans if you want to, and two bungee cords. make the bungee cords a length so that one fits snug around your upper chest and one that it fits snug mid chest, around the bottom of your rib cage area, then all you do is lay the bungees on the ground so that there spaced about a foot apart, go over to your backdrop area and get veg from behind it not in it, cut a bunch of vegetation that matches your backdrop the length from your mid chest to six inches above your shoulders, you lay all that vegetation down on the bungees and then lay on top of it,back down clip in your bungees and stand up and get ready to hunt, you just made a field expedient ghillie that works better than all the suits, and you blend in exactly with your surrounding area. the other very important part if you want to do this ghillie style of hunting is that you have a good veil, grab a boonie cover from your local army surplus store and zip tie some netting on it and then tie paracord to the netting in about five inch pieces, lay some vegetation down on it and tie it in with the paracord, now your head is covered to, you can shove vegetation in the front of you too but make sure its out of your way for shooting, when you guys do this your trying to break up your outline, so you need to have vegetation over both shoulders, you want to break up the natural "V's" your body outline makes, if you guys are interested in this or have questions let me know, i can make a how to video eventually, hope this made sense to yall and good luck ground hunting.

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Veg is the Edge for ground bowhunting

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:18 am

I also hunt more than average from the ground. Sounds like you have a very good understanding of natural camouflage. I think a lot of guys are interested in making good ground setups so if you have some examples/photos of what you are describing I bet a lot of us would be interested in seeing them.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:12 am

Love to see a video and pics. Had thought about doing something similar but never followed through. I always thought it might be difficult to stay quiet and draw your bow or shift as needed to shoot with the natural vegetation or tree branches attached to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:13 am

Also watched an episode of major league Bowhunters where Duff camo'd himself in grass to stalk and shoot a buck feeding in a pasture type Area.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:45 am

Id like to hear more. I wont be using any tree stands this season for bowhunting. Im going ground pounding 100%. Only stand i will be in are observation pre season and during the gun season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:55 am

Like was mentioned above. Pics and videos are great for easier understanding. :L:
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 am

I'll mAke a video for you guys when I get a chance here in the next few weeks, I don't have my camera out here so
It'll be a cell phone video, I'll make a better one when I get back in late August of better quality, as far as drawing the bow back, I found the best way to
Do it is sitting down behind your screen and then slowly raising above it at full draw to take the shot, it mask your movement as much as possible

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:14 pm

for everyone that wanted to see a video i made one today, in the current process of uploading and the youtube link to follow
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:56 pm

here are the links for the youtube video guys, there is two parts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2wMyDi0kFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ZQE9TbDqY

youtube name: bowhunter1322
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Great work man! You cover a lot of advanced stuff (to the average joe), you did a good job of explaining things and showing what is and is not important. I picked up quite a few ideas from those videos. Thanks for putting that together.

I take it from the background noises you must be on a base somewhere.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:29 am

thanks man..ya some apaches were doing some gun runs for training just over the hill
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:30 am

Great info. Do you have any ideas for close in bed setups? How do you think making your veg suit 100-200 yds out from the bed before final approach would work?
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:40 am

That would work awesome for you especially cause the noise reduction you would have farther away, the only thing you have to consider here is if you can gather the same vegetation further away that is also in your bed set up, that way when you walk in you blend in with what's up there, if you keep it trimmed and tied in you can move around all day through thick stuff and your not gonna have a problem just keep extra attention that you could get caught up on stuff easier, and when you make movement into the bed area just keep a screen between you and the bed to mask your movement as much as possible

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:18 am

When I find a bed & pick a kill tree (spot) I always take some pics with my phone. On the ground sets I was thinking just review the photos before leaving the truck & just try to grab veg on the way in & put something together just before final approach. I was worried about it holding together or causing problems walking - sounds like it's good to go. My plan is to have a small backpack for ground hunts & strap the veg to it. Then I'll have a easy on easy off camo blind.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:54 am

Well done vids. Thanx for the info. It's one of those things that's so simple you say to yourself why didn't I think of that.

Love the gunfire in the backround.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”