Another Kayak topic

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Another Kayak topic

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:33 pm

I have been reading through old kayak topics and postings...first off I have never sit in or on a kayak or a canoe, ever

I really like the idea of the sit on top Kayaks. I have looked at a bunch of different models. Something I cant find much information on... how wet do you guys get using the sit on top kayaks?

I was told by a guy today at a retail location, that the sit on op kayaks are referred to as "warm water boats" due to the amound on water you come in contact with.

Just trying to think ahead on the cold water hunts :)

BigHunt

Re: Another Kayak topic

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:13 pm

backstraps wrote:I have been reading through old kayak topics and postings...first off I have never sit in or on a kayak or a canoe, ever

I really like the idea of the sit on top Kayaks. I have looked at a bunch of different models. Something I cant find much information on... how wet do you guys get using the sit on top kayaks?

I was told by a guy today at a retail location, that the sit on op kayaks are referred to as "warm water boats" due to the amound on water you come in contact with.

love my sit on top!!!!!! its kind of entertaing watching me trying to get in and out of a sit in side kayak :mrgreen: sit on top is the way to go! your in and out in a jiffy with out a struggle FOR ME ANYWAY! as far as the water ..when It starts cooling down I just wear my hip waders for the ride so any water that dose get on my legs I don't get wet...also I have that whole inside of the kayak to store gear

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 am

If you can access the water and a little weight is not a problem I recommend the nucanoe. If you ever have to get in/out in waist deep water you will know why.... Most stable hybrid kayak I have been in. Plus you can carry a lot of gear/weight/deer

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:46 am

backstraps wrote:I have been reading through old kayak topics and postings...first off I have never sit in or on a kayak or a canoe, ever

I have both a SOT kayak and a canoe, and use both for hunting. You can get scupper plugs for many of the SOT kayaks, which will keep your but much drier. I tend to use the kayak for long paddles and really skinny, hard to reach spots, whereas the canoe is nice for hauling a bunch of gear (and a big buck :D ).
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:29 am

I have a yak and a canoe, the yak sits at home 99% of the time, canoe is just more convenient for hauling gear and deer.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 am

I would second the Nucanoe as a great option. I almost pulled the trigger and got one last month but i passed on it for now. You can stand up in the Nucanoe paddel up to the cattails and hoop right off with ease.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:10 am

Thanks for the replies. Bighunt, the predator xt is one I was looking at. I need for flooded timber areas, so skinny, sleak, and easy to track is what I need.

I really like the looks of the nucanoe, pricey but I bet that would be the cats meow.

Another question for you guys....areas I want to access...I have to snake my way through the flooded timer to the wood edges. The edge of the river has "mud" banks about 6 foot up to the shore edge....how do you guys approach this type of scenario?

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:48 am

I would also like opinions on this duck boat. Like I mentioned I've never as much as set in a kayak let alone use one....

What's your thoughts on the Beavertail Phantom Duck Boathttp://m.basspro.com/Beavertail-Pha ... pingdotcom

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:11 am

Anyone have a tandem kayak?
My plan would be hunting rig and summer fun with wife and dog. Gear and hauling deer would be a piece of cake.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:50 am

backstraps wrote:Thanks for the replies. Bighunt, the predator xt is one I was looking at. I need for flooded timber areas, so skinny, sleak, and easy to track is what I need.

I really like the looks of the nucanoe, pricey but I bet that would be the cats meow.

Another question for you guys....areas I want to access...I have to snake my way through the flooded timer to the wood edges.[glow=red]The edge of the river has "mud" banks about 6 foot up to the shore edge....how do you guys approach this type of scenario?[/glow]

chest waders and some !@LLS ;) :lol:

honesty, I have a big hook I made at work I tied a rope onto it.....ive been in this situation your describe. what I do I paddle as close as possible, then throw that hook as quiet as possible on land ( ive never had to throw it father then 5 feet) pull the rope until it snags into the ground then with brute strength I pull my self closer and closer until I feel I can hop out and get on solid enough ground to stand. when I use the hook , I make sure im far enough away from my hunting area in case I make to much nosie
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Lol...chest waders check....the others, check. Had to laugh when I read that.

Going to test run some kayaks Friday.

Like the looks of your yak BH. Did you make a mount for your gear or just use the factory bungees

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:28 am

backstraps wrote:Lol...chest waders check....the others, check. Had to laugh when I read that.

Going to test run some kayaks Friday.

Like the looks of your yak BH. Did you make a mount for your gear or just use the factory bungees

No mounts....the stand and sticks sit perfectly in the back, I bungee the stand down and then put the mesh netting over it...for the bow, I just use elastic bungee that's on the front of the yak. It dose not move
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 am

BigHunt wrote:chest waders and some !@LLS ;) :lol:

I second this & will add no fear of getting either muddy!!!! Last year I dealt with this a lot & it's a huge pain in the rear. I have a sit in yak. I original bought it to access more upland country via rivers - worked good. Now I'm in more lowland with creeks, drains, & major rivers. Due to flooding almost all water ways have steep, muddy, cut banks. I'm sure a sit ontop would help, but my current solution is to paddle until I have an access spot. Couple times I was pass !@LLS deep in mud this year!!!!
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 am

Ran across this today. I don't have a use for it, but I could see a scenario where someone might want one, i.e. a lengthy portage or a backcountry type hunt. Personally...it scares me and I wouldnt trust it, but the videos look legit.
http://www.backcountry.com/sc/oru-kayaks?INT_ID=IB16750
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:12 am

msailor wrote:Ran across this today. I don't have a use for it, but I could see a scenario where someone might want one, i.e. a lengthy portage or a backcountry type hunt. Personally...it scares me and I wouldnt trust it, but the videos look legit.
http://www.backcountry.com/sc/oru-kayaks?INT_ID=IB16750

Wow that is a cool concept, I am not sure I would trust it with my body weight and gear. Id probably hit something underwater and cave it in hahaha :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”