Leeward side

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Leeward side

Unread postby sunset samurai » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:13 pm

Leeward side
The leeward side rule/thermal tunnel for hill country hunting I fully understand as a viable rut tactic to catch cruisers. However I am wondering about general travel, as a search method the thermal tunnel makes perfect sense. Also on a comfort note, when temps plummet and winds are strong the leeward side obviously is going to be more comfortable to travel. My question is how set in stone is the rule in, perhaps, early season before any thoughts of cruising enter their minds, and the weather is warm and winds are light. At this time are they still apt to travel the leeward side using the thermal tunnel for security purposes, or does it play a role in the early season?
Observations on the topic?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Leeward side

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm

It still plays a role, but not nearly as much as during the rut... Thats where they bed all year. And often they will follow the thermal tunnel elevation for a distance before dropping or rising to food or water.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:57 pm

I dont think when it comes to hunting deer, that anything is set in stone. However, the thermal tunnel isnt just primarly for rut hunting. It is more for survival in my opinion.

I think bucks use the thermal tunnel far more than we even realize. Deer uses the wind tunnel year round both inside and outside the rut stages. Just think about where they bed, beds are typically in or very close to the wind tunnel.

In all honesty, I think during the rut, the bucks are actually be more prone to be outside the thermal tunnel more
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm

dan wrote:It still plays a role, but not nearly as much as during the rut... Thats where they bed all year. And often they will follow the thermal tunnel elevation for a distance before dropping or rising to food or water.

Thanks, that makes sense

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:04 pm

I don't have extensive experience with hill terrain in early season, but the one time I did hunt hill country during early season I killed a buck opening day of bow on a leeward bench after the thermal switch between an oak ridge and bedding point.

I believe deer would use the leeward wind advantage year round.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:23 pm

It does make sense that theoretically they would use the tunnel at least somewhat year around. You guys observations are helping solidify theories. Thanks

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:31 am

backstraps wrote:I dont think when it comes to hunting deer, that anything is set in stone. However, the thermal tunnel isnt just primarly for rut hunting. It is more for survival in my opinion.

I think bucks use the thermal tunnel far more than we even realize. Deer uses the wind tunnel year round both inside and outside the rut stages. Just think about where they bed, beds are typically in or very close to the wind tunnel.

In all honesty, I think during the rut, the bucks are actually be more prone to be outside the thermal tunnel more

Great point and one everyone should put in the memory bank.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”