thermal tunnel question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

thermal tunnel question

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm

I have a ridge that will be great during the rut. It is east west and slopes down to the south so a south wind is ideal. The question I have is this 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up will be the thermal tunnel that the deer will travel but can I hunt the downhill side all day if I hunt high enough? I dont want to have to move to the uphill side of the thermal tunnel in the afternoon if I dont have to. If I have to move I will be crossing the deer trails which will educate more deer. Does anyone have experience with this? recommendations?

GRFox
500 Club

Re: thermal tunnel question

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 pm

I was thinking the same thing today in the stand......
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:21 pm

I have the same type of ridge, east to west with south facing slope. It's a fairly flat ridge and has fields on top so it acts a little different than say a hog back ridge. I like to hunt it on a north wind, entering along the south fence line and using north and south running ravines to enter my stands. I've noticed that wind consistency varies on the day and conditions. If the weather has been pretty stable and the north wind is light I can hunt closer to the south fence line where a couple points end. If it's one of those blustery north wind days, I look for somewhere else to hunt. Usually the only place the wind is stable is in the fields on top, by the time that wind rolls over the field top and hits the woods it's all over the place. The biggest thing I think is taking milkweed and checking the wind. Approach your hunting area from the prevailing down wind side and check wind enough times to know your scent won't get in your hot spot. Hope this helps, good luck.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:05 am

i agree with 3dog you would want a north wind to create that wind tunnel on a southerly slope
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:37 am

Yep, think leeward side of hill. That's what the Hill country video says. ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:55 pm

3Dog is right on... Also, like others have said, you need a North wind for what you described.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”