Hanging sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Hanging sticks

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:26 am

As I move along with this beast style hunting, finding more & more huntable beds. I see my setups going probably 60%/40%, 80%/20% multi sticks vs single stick climbing. When I originally started hunting with sticks & stand, I had a system of hanging my sticks off my Alice pack straps. This put them higher & farther back to keep them off my legs & worked good. However, a couple problems with this setup I've now ditch the Alice pack for a vest & the hanging sticks do swing with climbing causing a lot of movement not good for close bed setup.

I've tried hanging off my harness & get a lot of leg contact. I've also thought of up & down with each stick, but this seems like excessive movement as well.

What methods are most here using & what do you feel is the greatest advantage to your method?

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Hanging sticks

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:17 am

Take your sticks off your stand at the base of the tree and put your first stick on the tree. Loosen the belt on the bottom stick of your stack so you can have a little more slack than what is needed to go from versa button around the bottom v bracket and back up to the versa button, remove from bottom v bracket and keep both belt loops around the versa button (this will create a big loop to go over your shoulder). Use 2 nylon straps to attach all your stacked sticks together and now throw the big loop you made with the bottom stick over your shoulder. I use 2 linesman ropes, attach those to your harness and start with both around the tree. Climb up to where you want to hang stick #2 and take the sticks off your shoulder and lay sticks across your linesman ropes, using the ropes like a table. Take off one nylon strap and immediately attach around all sticks below the one you are taking off (now all remaining sticks are attached and no chance for them to separate and fall),take off the 2nd nylon strap and do the same as the first. Take the stick you removed and place across your linesman belt "table" under your remaining stacked sticks. Now you can take the remaining stacked sticks and sling them back over your shoulder then attach the removed stick to the tree..then repeat process for the rest of your sticks. I use the 2 linesman ropes so when you get to a branch you need to disconnect and go around you are always attached to the tree with one of your ropes. Once you get all your sticks on, throw the nylon straps in your pocket or fanny pack, climb down and attach your bow rope to your platform and obviously the other end to your bow then throw the stand on your back and climb up, set the stand and pull the bow up. This method works great for me and minimizes trips up and down the tree and is real quiet and safe.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:35 am

:think: I will have to give this a try this season. Sure sounds better than multiple trips up/down causing much more movement that is necessary! Thanks.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:02 am

jmaas07 wrote:Take your sticks off your stand at the base of the tree and put your first stick on the tree. Loosen the belt on the bottom stick of your stack so you can have a little more slack than what is needed to go from versa button around the bottom v bracket and back up to the versa button, remove from bottom v bracket and keep both belt loops around the versa button (this will create a big loop to go over your shoulder). Use 2 nylon straps to attach all your stacked sticks together and now throw the big loop you made with the bottom stick over your shoulder. I use 2 linesman ropes, attach those to your harness and start with both around the tree. Climb up to where you want to hang stick #2 and take the sticks off your shoulder and lay sticks across your linesman ropes, using the ropes like a table. Take off one nylon strap and immediately attach around all sticks below the one you are taking off (now all remaining sticks are attached and no chance for them to separate and fall),take off the 2nd nylon strap and do the same as the first. Take the stick you removed and place across your linesman belt "table" under your remaining stacked sticks. Now you can take the remaining stacked sticks and sling them back over your shoulder then attach the removed stick to the tree..then repeat process for the rest of your sticks. I use the 2 linesman ropes so when you get to a branch you need to disconnect and go around you are always attached to the tree with one of your ropes. Once you get all your sticks on, throw the nylon straps in your pocket or fanny pack, climb down and attach your bow rope to your platform and obviously the other end to your bow then throw the stand on your back and climb up, set the stand and pull the bow up. This method works great for me and minimizes trips up and down the tree and is real quiet and safe.

I do this plus I use 2 ropes, one for my stand and one for my crossbow, that are attached to loops on my climbing harness. I don't go back down, just pull up my stand and hang it, then pull up my crossbow.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 am

I added stirrups to my bottom two sticks. Stick 1 i set as high as I can comfortably get my foot in the stirrup. I step up and set the second stick. I climb down, tie my pull up string to my bow, put my stand on my back and go up and set the third stick and my stand. The stirrups get me up plenty high with three sticks and eliminated an extra trip up and down. I get about 13-15ft with two sticks and 18-20 with three. 10 minute setup.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:10 am

cbigbear wrote:As I move along with this beast style hunting, finding more & more huntable beds. I see my setups going probably 60%/40%, 80%/20% multi sticks vs single stick climbing. When I originally started hunting with sticks & stand, I had a system of hanging my sticks off my Alice pack straps. This put them higher & farther back to keep them off my legs & worked good. However, a couple problems with this setup I've now ditch the Alice pack for a vest & the hanging sticks do swing with climbing causing a lot of movement not good for close bed setup.

I've tried hanging off my harness & get a lot of leg contact. I've also thought of up & down with each stick, but this seems like excessive movement as well.

What methods are most here using & what do you feel is the greatest advantage to your method?

I know some guys on here do the paracord loops on the harness but attach the sticks by the versa button instead of the V-bracket like I do it. I think it helps prevent some of the leg contact with the full length sticks. I've found that most excessive movement can be eliminated by going slower, spacing the sticks closer together, and a large volume of practice. I like keeping the stand on my back when I climb because I use one rope for the bow and another for the camera arm. If I needed to pull up the stand I'd need three ropes and the ability to avoid a tangle.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 am

You need to stay aware when you remove a stick and you have that stick and the rest of your sticks that are attached together laying across your linesman belts, you need to pay attention so the v brackets don't touch creating noise. Also forgot to mention that once your stand is hung to remove one linesman rope and attach to the tree above the stand and then attach your safety tether to that, you can then remove the other linesman rope and stick in your fanny pack or whatever then step on the stand, cam lock it and it's good to go.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:27 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
cbigbear wrote:As I move along with this beast style hunting, finding more & more huntable beds. I see my setups going probably 60%/40%, 80%/20% multi sticks vs single stick climbing. When I originally started hunting with sticks & stand, I had a system of hanging my sticks off my Alice pack straps. This put them higher & farther back to keep them off my legs & worked good. However, a couple problems with this setup I've now ditch the Alice pack for a vest & the hanging sticks do swing with climbing causing a lot of movement not good for close bed setup.

I know some guys on here do the paracord loops on the harness but attach the sticks by the versa button instead of the V-bracket like I do it. I think it helps prevent some of the leg contact with the full length sticks. I've found that most excessive movement can be eliminated by [glow=red]going slower, spacing the sticks closer together, and a large volume of practice. I like keeping the stand on my back when I climb because I use one rope for the bow[/glow]and another for the camera arm. If I needed to pull up the stand I'd need three ropes and the ability to avoid a tangle.

I practiced a lot, and treat each set as a practice to see how quiet I can climb each set. Slowing down and staying focused at using min movement has helped me more than anything. I am 6-4 and really dont have much problem using paracord on the v brackets with leg contact, but there is still some. Enough actually that I prefer using the versa button.

I think the main thing is like BH15 stated...PRACTICE. I have found out that once you get a routine down, you can actually get setup faster than you realize.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:53 am

I hang mine off the sides of my harness with paracord and versa button also... I go real slow...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”