End of the ridge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

End of the ridge

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm wondering at the end of a ridge where it drops to a valley and or creek bottom, across the valley is another ridge running the same direction. With wind in mind and the rut going will the buck drop down to the low elevation and continue onto the next ridge maintaining the Leeward side as he gains to the top 1-3 elevation. Is he OK dropping out of the tunnel to continue the pursuit of does. Will a buck circle a hillside to get to the next parallel ridge, if so does he keep the wind in his favor as he moves to the parallel hillside?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mattyq2402

Re: End of the ridge

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm sure this is situational based on the deer but I guess I am asking from your personal experience and observation what is the bucks preference as he reaches the end of a ridge, I am gearing this toward rut time.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:13 am

That's a saddle...and for the reason you are mentioning make them a good funnel in the rut...

The ridge ends and they typically funnel through the same area..in gun season they work better IMO because you dont have to guess which trail is going to be the shooting trail as you can cover most with a gun...

With the bow the setup is a little different...

"Mapping trophy bucks" is a good book that covers stuff on the subject...

But I'm sure the beast experts will help too....

I dont know that there's anything too set in stone...ridge running bucks sooner or later have that decision to make...find that "decision point" and kill them there...

Hot spot because they can and will run em both ways and multiple bucks and multiple ridges...just makes s good funnel spot..

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:23 pm

I have seen large tracks going from one ridge tip over to the next ridge tip as you describe.
The deer will probably be doing this at night where I am at. The distance between is significant and is a riverbottom with crops and a creek cutting the ridges. But it it was wooded all the way I bet it would get rut movement.
Dan and others here want an answer to "why are they moving through here or going there" Is your spot providing a basic need (like does) on the second ridge?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:13 am

I saw a mature buck do this exact thing last year during the rut he was following the leeward side of the ridge then instead of following it to me he followed a spur off the ridge crossed a small valley and onto the next big ridge

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:29 pm

I think I understand what you are describing. Two points sticking out toward each other across a valley. I find those are natural travel corridors for all sorts of critters rutting bucks included. They generally are the shortest and easiest way across valleys. The challenge is the wind, generally you are only going to be able to hunt down low in a valley with a wind blowing up or down the valley (I have found occasional exceptions). You can hunt high on one of the points for a consistent crosswind of some kind but it really depends on the situation if bucks travel straight up the point or stay down low for a little ways - there is not really a general rule I think. The tightest travel bottleneck will be down in the valley between those two points.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”