Bowhunter Safety...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bowhunter Safety...

Unread postby dan » Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I really don't see the big deal. Id rather have a graduate concious about his scent than an absent minded graduate.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If someone wants to teach there ideas and thoughts thats fine in a private UN-MANDATORY class... But not in a mandatory state ran class... It would be no different than me running the class and telling every kid they should wear tennis shoes and blue jeans... Parents and piers should teach how... Safety should be safety. And if my kid was taking that class so we could hunt deer I don't want them forcing my kid to decide to flunk a test to answer a question correctly based on what his father taught him over what some yahoo instructor teaches...

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Dewey wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I really don't see the big deal. Id rather have a graduate concious about his scent than an absent minded graduate.

If their gonna teach them something teach them how to use the wind to their advantage not just how to trust gimmicks.

Sounds like they should rename that class as Bowhunter Education instead of Bowhunter Safety.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Labeling it all as gimmick is false IMHO.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun May 31, 2015 11:42 pm

dan wrote:

If someone wants to teach there ideas and thoughts thats fine in a private UN-MANDATORY class... But not in a mandatory state ran class... It would be no different than me running the class and telling every kid they should wear tennis shoes and blue jeans... Parents and piers should teach how... Safety should be safety. And if my kid was taking that class so we could hunt deer I don't want them forcing my kid to decide to flunk a test to answer a question correctly based on what his father taught him over what some yahoo instructor teaches...

highly agreed dan!!!! this just goes to show how brain washed some people are about scent control industrie, they think they NEED to push scent control in a bow hunting SAFTTY CLASS!!! its not a tactic class!?!?! its a safety class
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:00 am

the best hunters I know don't even blink at scent control! so if your taught scent control, your a better hunter then the guy that doesn't believe , use or wasn't taught about it!?!? I highly disagree!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:15 am

Money changing hands...

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 am

I don't agree with it being taught a manditory class. Seems to me that there has to be some affiliation to some scent control company somewhere there. All the new hunters out there are hearing nothing but scent control. It's being pushed on TV magazines and now safety classes. They will come to believe that is the only way possible to kill bucks and it's definitely not. At least not trying to eleminate it anyways. That's just my opinion

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:34 am

You can find the entire booklet online for your reading pleasure. I added a topic :lol:

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/wisconsin/studyGuide/301051

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:35 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dewey wrote:

If their gonna teach them something teach them how to use the wind to their advantage not just how to trust gimmicks.

Sounds like they should rename that class as Bowhunter Education instead of Bowhunter Safety.

Labeling it all as gimmick is false IMHO.

I'm sorry your right..........I really meant Pixie Dust. ;)

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:01 am

I kind of agree with this. It is boot camp for beginners. It's not so much about scent control, but being squared away. Some kids don't know enough to keep their boots laced up. If you give them an idea of being scent conscious it gives them ideas to be conscious of other things like safety.

Teaching a kid about scent control does not hurt one thing about the kids safety. Teaching the kid about being hap hazard in his preparation would be counter productive. It's not so much about the scent control it's about the preparation for the hunt. For us old salty dogs we know scent control is more sizzle than steak. For those kids that don't have a clue about scent control it's more about not getting splattered in the eyes when that steak is sizzling.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:16 am

Stanley wrote:

I kind of agree with this. It is boot camp for beginners. It's not so much about scent control, but being squared away. Some kids don't know enough to keep their boots laced up. If you give them an idea of being scent conscious it gives them ideas to be conscious of other things like safety.

Teaching a kid about scent control does not hurt one thing about the kids safety. Teaching the kid about being hap hazard in his preparation would be counter productive. It's not so much about the scent control it's about the preparation for the hunt. For us old salty dogs we know scent control is more sizzle than steak. For those kids that don't have a clue about scent control it's more about not getting splattered in the eyes when that steak is sizzling.

Good point Stan. BUT!! If they're going to bring up the topic shouldn't it be approached from every direction. I just can see how some kids might hear this. Realize they or their parents can't afford a fancy suit and start hunting with alot less confidence and maybe give up.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:44 am

How about the mn hunting regulations?
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regula ... l_regs.pdf

Btw I took advanced hunter Ed to hunt metro zones but don't recall any scent talk(it's been about 14 years so can't say I recall any specific content)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 am

mt008 wrote:You can find the entire booklet online for your reading pleasure. I added a topic :lol:

Thats not the book he had... His went farther. It said in print that to be successful, you must try to achieve scent free... He told me it was not on the test, but he was told to study that portion cause it might be...

Its funny to me, that guys who support scent control see nothing wrong with this... Would they be ok if there was section there kids were taught that scent control is a gimmick??? And then tell the kids they are going to be tested on this... So, if they agree with what they believe, or what Dad taught them, they could fail... I would not be ok with it either way... The WDNR has no business teaching my kids how to hunt or that they have to believe questionable tactics.
to be successful, you must try to achieve scent free

How do we measure success?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:38 pm

I'll admit that I.m still lokking at some sort of odor control as a possible method in certain circumstances. But I've also hunted enough without it and had success that I know it's not a nessesity.

Teaching it in a Goverenment based required program and implying or not telling other methods to beat a deers nose makes me mad. Like choice of bow manufacturer or other equipment used this program shouldn't be singled out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:05 am

stash59 wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Good point Stan. BUT!! If they're going to bring up the topic shouldn't it be approached from every direction. [glow=red]I just can see how some kids might hear this. Realize they or their parents can't afford a fancy suit and start hunting with alot less confidence and maybe give up[/glow].

This is what I don't like about it. Some kid thinks he needs a fancy "scent control" suit to hunt successfully.

This is copied from the WI bowhunters Education course:

[glow=red]"Consider wearing hunting clothing manufactured with special carbon-treated fabric that absorbs human scent."[/glow]
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:33 pm

mt008 wrote:You can find the entire booklet online for your reading pleasure. I added a topic :lol:

Thanks for posting that study guide. So this witch hunt is about two paragraphs in 1 just of 6 subtopics in just 1 of 9 units? In other words, about 20% of one subtopic out of about 50 total subtopics? Lighten up guys. This reminds me of a herd of lemmings...but better anti-scent control lemmings than the pro-scent control variety :lol: Offering some constructive criticism to the course administrator is a good idea but I would much rather the kids have a class like this than no class at all.

Dan mentioned the class he heard about was different, more intensely pro-scent control...I would be curious what that material was like.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”