update....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

update....

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Y'all remember the buck I spotted in flintlock season bedded in a small patch??

And remember my buddy hit it with his flintlock and they lost it...

He's gone...neighbor found him turkey scouting or hunting..

Not far from where he was shot...

He didn't go there and die instantly...they tracked him almost full circle to where they jumped him...

Guessing the bitter cold and maybe infection got him...willing to bet if it wasn't -20 -30 degrees with crusty snow he would have made it...

I guessed him at 120". Buddy swore he was 160". Another buddy got glass on him like I did and said the same as me..

After seeing the rack I will give him 105-110". Thinner than he looked..had a decent spread and the start of good tine length though...he been really nice next season...

Bummer to know he is gone...

Explains why I couldn't find his bed or sheds this spring....

I'd like to go see the carcass and see what was hit...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: update....

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu May 28, 2015 1:37 pm

That stinks but it's how it goes sometimes, hopefully a new buck moves into his bedding area.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu May 28, 2015 2:08 pm

I believe I remember it.

At least you closed the book on that one. There is another in the making. Good luck this fall.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu May 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Remember it well, thanks for the update... Hey atleast you know... You have pictures of the rack
Make It Happen
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Ive seen doe bedded there on the regular...that's the first time ive seen a buck there...but can't see them till winter...after the season...so hard to tell...its a good spot and no one ever goes there...awesome vantage point...they can see everything coming...and he was bedding there with his wind to his back so thermals must work a bit even though its a bit below the top 1/3rd...

Neighbors land gets hammered with pressure...

I just might try a hunt there this fall...or keep tabs on what is in the immediate area....

That buck was seen all the time and I knew right where he was bedding..just didn't have time to hunt him..everyone assumed he bedded in the neighbors because its super thick in a lot of spots...

It happens...just have to see a good one gone...he would have been one of the bigger bucks in the area come fall...which is why ive moved on with my scouting endeavors..the area gets hammered and the age class isn't there and the ones that are even just 3.5 are literally ghosts...

I didn't get pics...buddy was on the way out the door I just seen em quick...

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:01 pm

I remember reading your posts...did the neighbor give the buck to your buddy?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Bummer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:27 am

Sorry to hear that he succumbed to his injuries without your buddy being able to place a tag on him when he shot at the buck. At least you have closure on a buck that it sounds like you studied a lot.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:57 am

He brought them over...not sure if he will give them back to the finder...technically in PA taking a dead head is illegal...oddly the fi deer cut both antlers off the skull lol...why he didn't bring the skull is beyond me...

I was turkey hunting today and found his 3rd hide out...he seemed to have several which is eye opening to me....I knew of the one...suspected the one I found today but didn't look till today...the other was a good one too...taught me a lot...he was a sight bedder...but also used the wind...I dont know how to kill a buck like that...living in an acre piece of woods...

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri May 29, 2015 5:59 am

You need to focus on shooting that boss gobbler that has been driving you nuts, and not think about deer. There are 2 days left in the season my man :twisted:

All kidding aside, sorry to hear about the loss and him not making it through. Its crazy how 25 yards left or right on a grid search can switch the ending of a hunting trip.

I think I would be ribbing my buddy on how the freezing cold winter we had this year shrunk that 160" rack down to 105-110 ;)

If I remember you had a few other nice deer located last year. Hope you can get on them this year as well. I am still in complete turkey maniac mode and not even thinking of deer. Grouse hunting with the lab has taken a lot of my deer hunting itches away.

I wonder what bucks think about turkey hunting pressure and such, if it may make them move their beds, if there is a hot gobbler in the same area getting hunted every day? Any thoughts? I imagine after the season they go back to normal?
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:06 am

I'm ALWAYS thinking deer...the majority of my "scouting" is from coon hunting year round...

They didn't miss him on the search...he died later...the guy that found him is actually pretty certain he seen him alive after the late season...couple weeks after he was hit...I'm sure the -20 and -30 temps and snow plow the injury did him in...bad timing...had it been milder he would very most likely be alive and well...

I actually have a buck on my camera...he's got a few inches on his head already...and I was turkey hunting and checking the cameras there the entire season...plus I have a guy on a quad at least 2 separate days and at least 2 turkey hunters one morning I wasn't there...

Bad camera setups...I have 10k pics....they were too far in the brush and it trigger them round the clock almost...lesson learned there...

Gunna get at least one or both in the swamp here soon...

I am ALWAYS looking for the next big buck bed...I stumble upon most these little hide outs...but...I spend more time in the woods than your average Joe...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”