Best rest ???????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Philski

Re: Best rest ???????

Unread postby Philski » Sun May 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Flawless performance for years from QAD Ultra. Best I've used.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon May 25, 2015 12:11 am

Hapily the deeply philosophical question "what is the best rest?" has NOT been asked thousands of times on the beast. Its more of an AT question. :lol:

There are quite a few rests out there that work well....a number of dropaways come to mind. I have never used the whisker biscuit but it seems to work for quite a few other people. I use a dropaway, brand irrelevant. If you look at a rest and don't understand how it works that's a good sign NOT to buy it....some dropaway rests are like that, but there are a number that are nice and simple.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon May 25, 2015 1:19 am

JoeRE wrote:Hapily the deeply philosophical question "what is the best rest?" has NOT been asked thousands of times on the beast. Its more of an AT question. :lol:

There are quite a few rests out there that work well....a number of dropaways come to mind. I have never used the whisker biscuit but it seems to work for quite a few other people. I use a dropaway, brand irrelevant. If you look at a rest and don't understand how it works that's a good sign NOT to buy it....some dropaway rests are like that, but there are a number that are nice and simple.

X2 drop away a lot of brands are nice. I found biscout loud on draw and damaging to vanes and feathers But if it works for you thats fine. I found it annoying. I would get the 3 pieces of brush rest first before a full biscuit.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 25, 2015 1:53 am

kurt wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Hapily the deeply philosophical question "what is the best rest?" has NOT been asked thousands of times on the beast. Its more of an AT question. :lol:

X2 drop away a lot of brands are nice. I found biscout loud on draw and damaging to vanes and feathers But if it works for you thats fine. I found it annoying. I would get the 3 pieces of brush rest first before a full biscuit.

Blazers work good with biscuits. Never had one damaged.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon May 25, 2015 2:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Switched from a WB to a drop away several years ago for the obvious reasons. Never looked back. Really happy with the QAD HDX. Shoots great and performs flawlessly. Pick what makes you happy. Just like bows and broadheads, they all kill deer.

X2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 25, 2015 3:21 am

Hawthorne wrote:
kurt wrote:

Yup. Been shooting the same arrows for years and never damaged one. Blazers are perfect for WB's.

AvidHunter88

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:59 am

I use a Vital Gear Kazaway 2.0 drop away rest and love it. To me it's the best of both worlds. The arrow is held in place with no movement but it's also a drop away. It's kind of hard to find info on these online but a friend of mine recommended it so I gave it a shot last year. I like that it holds the arrow tight so there's no chance for it bouncing around or making noise.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed May 27, 2015 4:05 am

I switched from a drop-away to a whisker biscuit last summer. I was drawn in by the simplicity and also read a field and stream article where they proved the biscuit was just as accurate when shot against drop aways.

After shooting a ton of indoor league this past winter, I will say the WB can be just as accurate as the drop aways BUT it is a bit more sensitive to form issues than a drop away. Sometimes, I get wild arrow flight because of my own form issues.

So yes, from my own experience i will say that the drop aways have advantages over the WB, however the WB has advantages over the drop aways.

I am more of a hunter than an archer (even though i score well above average in leagues), so i will always choose simplicity and less parts over the alternative, so I will stick with my Biscuit.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:41 am

I prefer wb as well, it's simple, has no moving parts that could potentially fail...idiot proof

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 am

Dewey wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
kurt wrote:

Yup. Been shooting the same arrows for years and never damaged one. Blazers are perfect for WB's.

are you guys fletching them with helical or offset Out of curiosity?

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:46 am

I prefer the QAD HDX or the TT Smackdown Pro. Both great rests. Not a huge fan of the WB but I think it has it's place.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:55 am

Stanley wrote:
Wapiti wrote:QAD drop-away for me.

Me too.

x3
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 27, 2015 3:01 pm

kurt wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
kurt wrote:

are you guys fletching them with helical or offset Out of curiosity?

Yes I fletch my own with helical

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks Dewey I thought maybe it was all the helical I put on causing problems. I've used my drop away long enough now and in all conditions. I feel so comfortable with it I probably won't try it again. That's the main thing for anyone. They all have tradeoffs. Same goes for my thumb release. Some love them some dont. I have a few Carters going to the grave with me.

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu May 28, 2015 1:28 am

QAD for this guys as well. Going on 5 years with it and flawless, plus they have a great warranty.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”