Ok Dan I got one for ya?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Ok Dan I got one for ya?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:57 am

It is a good possibility that I am crazy but it seems to me over that past several years here in Indiana there has been something strange with the wind. Used to it was rare to have light and variable winds, now they seem to happen a lot. One thing you could almost always count on were if the winds were 6-8mph or more they would be pretty consistent, but that doesn't even seem to be the case anymore. I have experienced more times then not in the last few years winds coming from multiple directions and not even predominantly from one direction. Was that way out at my buddy's house this weekend. Winds were suppose to be NNW and they came from the East and South East then some Northerly direction and 10 minutes later switch again all afternoon and evening until dark. What do you do when you encounter winds like this? How do you set up on deer like this. My guess is get really high in the tree but I just don't know how you get close to a bucks bedding area like that.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Ok Dan I got one for ya?

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 pm

It can be tough... I have had some wind changes this year that really aggravated me too... Thats hunting.
Hunting high is one way to over come it. Another is to wait for the perfect day to hunt your best spots, and jump around on hunches on your iffy days.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

That is one damn good answer.

I will add this and I learned this from Dan.

Dan and I were talking at the 2009 Lansing Deer and Turkey Show. There was a topic on the old forum on scent and wind. I told Dan I get what you are saying but I am on stand and get wind that hits me in the right ear, then the nose, then the back of the neck, then the left ear. Dan told me to drop some milk weed and see what the wind is really doing.

That has really influenced my observations of prevailing winds vs actual. Winds always swirl, milk weed will help you understand how they swirl in your location/topography
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 am

I thought about asking this question too, I hit a few variable wind days this year and wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to ruin a buck spot so I just hunted does instead. However I did use some beastly knowledge and got the thermals in my favor and had a few does stage up at the bottom of the hill across the road from a feeding area. Earlier in the hunt they would have busted me but those little milkweeds showed me they didn't have a chance later in the evening. I eventually arrowed one at 7 yards.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

One thing that I have probably not ever mentioned about milkweed is the fact that the wind will actually change directions slightly to travel through open areas in thick cover... So if you have a big shooting lane it will funnel your scent thru it if the wind is somewhat blowing in that direction.
I had that happen again tonight as I was pushing a wind that was not ideal, but good enough. The wind from the ground was blowing a certain direction, but once in the tree predictably, the milkweed would turn if flight and funnel through an opening in the otherwise thick brush... Just one more reason not to cut huge shooting lanes...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”