Impact of baiting or mineral sites

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Impact of baiting or mineral sites

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed May 20, 2015 2:43 am

Could be...this is a horse farm so they maybe hitting the mineral blocks left out for the horses I guess. It is a small block of woods without much surrounding to compete with so that's my best guess. I just know for 3 years in a row I put out either deer cocaine or trophy rock and they didn't use it much. I put it out in the spring as with everyone else.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:55 am

It is my understanding mineral sites are beneficial for a healthy fawn recruitment, milk development, and also antler development in males. I do not have any empirical data to support any of these ideas, however, I believe it is beneficial for the health of my herd. I often have inventory of healthy twins from a mature mother, and regular maturity in antler growth from bucks year to year..
The mineral site I established 4 years ago now has multiple trails leading to and from it, indicating travel has been affected so deer can stop at the site. I believe it is more of a casual treat (because of the salt) in passing rather than a purposeful trip from afar. I cannot legally keep the site established throughout the season so I am uncertain of its activity in the months that matter most, but throughout the summer there are many regular doe and young bucks frequenting and very few mature bucks regularly visit the site.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm

I have tried several types of licks, attractants and or minerals with varying success. What I find they work best for is for taking inventory. I find using one attractant site/50 acres seems to get the best results. I use just salt now and the deer hit it pretty good in early spring and up until around August.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”