Dan and Andrae Scent Control Measures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GBTG

Dan and Andrae Scent Control Measures

Unread postby GBTG » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 am

Do you guys do anything to control your scent? I know the videos talk about learning the winds but what about when you go to clear out a bump and dump site? Just whack and sweat away and return? Bare hands? Rubber boots?

dreaming bucks

Re: Dan and Andrae Scent Control Measures

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:32 am

GBTG wrote:Do you guys do anything to control your scent? I know the videos talk about learning the winds but what about when you go to clear out a bump and dump site? Just whack and sweat away and return? Bare hands? Rubber boots?

I think the idea of the "bump and dump" kill, is to kill them before they ever can catch your scent.... Meaning, yes, you want to use a tree that will be mostly downwind from where he walks into his bed the next morning... The one thing I have wondered though is, how do you know for sure what direction he will be coming from that morning ? When you bump him and runs off to the west, are you banking on it that he will be coming from the west the next morning ? But I would think he could be coming from any direction..... Or do you look at his trails coming and going from his bed to try and figure that out ? Maybe Dan will chime in....
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:32 am

Maybe a rookie question (which I am), but what do you guys mean by "bump and dump"?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 am

I think that buck will return to his bed with the wind in his face.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:41 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Maybe a rookie question (which I am), but what do you guys mean by "bump and dump"?

http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2345

Found where we have talked about this subject before... If you watch Dan's video's it goes over more with Andrae...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:41 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I think that buck will return to his bed with the wind in his face.

Good point, that makes sense....
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am

GBTG wrote:Do you guys do anything to control your scent? I know the videos talk about learning the winds but what about when you go to clear out a bump and dump site? Just whack and sweat away and return? Bare hands? Rubber boots?

My idea of scent control is to keep the buck from smelling you based on the wind, and carefully thinking about where you walk... I believe Andrae is on the same page. When I have time, I shower and wear clean clothes. Although I don't think it matters much.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Maybe a rookie question (which I am), but what do you guys mean by "bump and dump"?

Meaning- you find a know buck bedding area holding a good buck...walk into it in the late evening with a stand on your back, BUMP him from that bed, hope he stays away all night, go back to that stand very eary the next AM (possibly hours before light) and DUMP him when he returns to his sanctuary.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 am

The one thing I have wondered though is, how do you know for sure what direction he will be coming from that morning ? When you bump him and runs off to the west, are you banking on it that he will be coming from the west the next morning ? But I would think he could be coming from any direction..... Or do you look at his trails coming and going from his bed to try and figure that out ? Maybe Dan will chime in....

In marshes, swamps, and most farm type terrains the direction of travel to a bed is usually pretty easy to determine by trails and fresh sign. In hill country bucks generally approach bedding from below. Wind direction is generally at the bucks back... This is because deer want to smell if a predator is tracking it to its bed. So they generally have it so a tracking predator's scent will blow right to them. In hill country they come from down hill cause the daytime thermal will change after daylight and bring the thermal wind uphill as the valley warms.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 am

Dor wrote:Meaning- you find a know buck bedding area holding a good buck...walk into it in the late evening with a stand on your back, BUMP him from that bed, hope he stays away all night, go back to that stand very eary the next AM (possibly hours before light) and DUMP him when he returns to his sanctuary.

Thanks..I got it. I read the other thread too that was linked..

I know that isnt what this thread is about, and its about scent control, but I just have one more question about that method.. Dont the bucks usually return to their beds when its still dark? Or do they return just after first light?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 am

Rather than rewriting what I wrote in a post about the method last May, I will copy and paste that segment here:
Andrea sets his standards pretty high... There is usually only one buck any given property he hunts. Knowing the exact bedding spot is critical in killing the buck.
Although bucks get pretty edgy about harassment they do have to put up with hikers, farm dogs, coyotes, and wolves in some areas and often get bumped out of there beds. They will put up with a certain extent of this type of harassment. Sometimes they will put up with one bump, sometimes several, sometimes 1st bump and there gone... I often tease Andrea about his "bump em and dump em" tactic and tell him in the public marsh we call it "Bump em and never ever ever see them again" but to be honest, it has sometimes worked here too.
There are ways to make it work better too... We have two definitions of a "bump". A hard bump is when you aggressively push a buck from his bed with the intent of him relocating to a new spot. A soft bump is where you move him, but try not to scare the crap out of him.
To soft bump a deer, a person does not want to walk directly towards the animal. Angles make it appear to the animal that your just passing by. Also, when the deer stands or trots off don't stop walking make it appear as though you could care less what the deer does. On Andreas property they are used to atv's occasionally crossing the property so he will sometimes cruise past a buck bedding area with the ATC and see what gets up...
Timing is important too... Really, its probably thee most important thing in bump and dump hunting... Bucks should be bumped about an hour before dark, or just before they normally get to there feet... The reason for this is because a deer that is bumped just before he would normally get up is more likely to just go about his normal night time routine after settling back down. Then at the end of the night he just goes back to the same old bed out of habit... When bumped early in the day they will head to another bedding area, then there is a good chance they will bed in the new spot rather than the spot you bumped them from.
It should also be said that Andrea usually knows these bedding areas pretty well, it is not a good idea to get scent near the bed or near the entrance rought you suspect the buck will use. Its important for the buck to believe the bump just wandered through. If he hints human scent on his way to the bed, he will likely turn tail...
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 am

Dan When you say shower and clean clothes do you mean one of the "scent free" products I assume? I am not asking you to endorse or name a particular brand, just curious if you even use the products at all.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 pm

I don't think Dan uses any scent free soaps or sprays.........I quit using them about 4 years ago as i realized it was a waste of time and money, if you use the wind to your advantage you can stink like anything and the deer won't smell you. On the same note you can be as clean as you can possiblly be and if that deer gets downwind of you it WILL smell you, so why waste the time and money with soaps ,sprays, and "scent free" clothing, the deer are either going to smell you or not. I will say this, I try not to touch branches or plants on the ground on the way to and from my stands and almost always wear rubber boots, but even then there are still skin particles falling off of me while I walk in and out so planning a route so deer don't smell your ground scent is key also.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:29 pm

What Lungbuster said...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 pm

So you two are saying that when you shower and wash your clothes you use normal smelling detergant and soap?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”