Moped or Bike for Hunting??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trad4life

Moped or Bike for Hunting??

Unread postby trad4life » Thu May 14, 2015 4:33 am

I am in college and I don't have a car. Did that stop me from hunting? no! I would wake up 2 hours before shooting light and take a 25 minute bike ride. I was a of a sight for people when I rode past them during the day. LOL I had my clothes and backpack strapped to my stand on my back, bow on my handle bars, headlamp on, and pedaling like a mad man! I found tIt was fun but it was very exhausting (my furthest spot is about 8 miles, I didn't hunt there too often). Needless to say, if i could afford a car i would, but i can not. Anyway, I am contemplating to get a moped or a bike with a kid trailer for next year. I listed to pros and cons down below and tell me what you think. List any additional pros or cons you can think of. Thanks!

Bike
Pros
-cheep
-easy to store
-use a child trailer to haul my gear
-can ride down public trails (cuts 15 minute walk to five minute walk)
-easily get a deer out of the woods

Cons
-longer time to get to spots
-dangerous riding at night
-people stop and talk to me (occurred 5 times this season)
-easily stolen
-must physically pedal
-tires have poped
- going up the hills is a struggle

Moped
Pros
-no physical labor
-can go 30mph
-has light
-gas milage is great

Cons
-storage (I live in a house and don't have a garage)
-transporting to and from school during summer
-expensive (about 400-500)
- can't attach a trailer
-no way to transport my deer

whitetailassasin

Re: Moped or Bike for Hunting??

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu May 14, 2015 6:03 am

I would lay the deer across the seat of moped and sit on it or lean up against it. It would prove a good investment for you and also resale is pretty good if well maintained.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu May 14, 2015 7:11 am

Most public land prohibits motorized vehicles so you would have to leave it in a parking area. You might come out after hunting and find it gone.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Thu May 14, 2015 7:43 am

I am afraid of it being taken as well. I don't think I'd try to get a deer out with a moped by putting it up on a moped doesn't seem safe. But thanks!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 14, 2015 8:30 am

Andrae has a moped and I use it when I have hunted his farm... It rocks. I can zoom across 800+ acres in no time. His is rigged with a bow holder and stand/gear rack, and painted camo... Great on private land (and quiet) but.... Not much of a use on public with it being illegal in most places.

I also might add, I have been seeing more and more signs changing on public land from:

NO MOTER VEHICALS

To now saying:

ACCESS LIMITED TO FOOT TRAVEL ONLY

To eliminate the use of bicycles as well... And to be honest, I like it. The harder it is for everyone else, the better and less crowded it is for me...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu May 14, 2015 8:31 am

dan wrote:Andrae has a moped and I use it when I have hunted his farm... It rocks. I can zoom across 800+ acres in no time. His is rigged with a bow holder and stand/gear rack, and painted camo... Great on private land (and quiet) but.... Not much of a use on public with it being illegal in most places.

I'd like to see a picture of that!!!! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu May 14, 2015 8:40 am

I'd go moped. Skin and quarter your deer on site.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 14, 2015 8:45 am

dan wrote:Andrae has a moped and I use it when I have hunted his farm... It rocks. I can zoom across 800+ acres in no time. His is rigged with a bow holder and stand/gear rack, and painted camo... Great on private land (and quiet) but.... Not much of a use on public with it being illegal in most places.

I also might add, I have been seeing more and more signs changing on public land from:

NO MOTER VEHICALS

To now saying:

To eliminate the use of bicycles as well... And to be honest, I like it. The harder it is for everyone else, the better and less crowded it is for me...

Actually bikes are illegal on a lot of state managed lands as I am not seeing the signs/notices allowing there use.

From the regs:

"It is illegal:....,

•operate any vehicle, including but not limited to snowmobiles, bicycles, trail bikes, and all-terrain vehicles except where their use is authorized by posted notice or permit. This prohibition does not apply to public roadways and trails held open to the public for the type of vehicle being operated, note: bicycles are permitted in all areas of the northern state forests and the Turtle Flambeau and Willow Flowage Scenic Water Areas, except where posted against such use."
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 am

NO MOTER VEHICALS

To now saying:

Most are too lazy to go in deep even with a bike. It's really no different than using a kayak to reach similar spots. In some areas I hunt it is legal and seems like me and a few others are the only ones with enough ambition to bike in with a stand/sticks, bow and other gear. It's still a lot of work and not as easy as it sounds. Now a moped that would be a different story.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu May 14, 2015 9:29 am

I use the wifes yamaha zuma moped for checking trail cameras! Its a breeze to run it down the side of field edges right to my camera set ups. Fast in and out. Only a few spots allow me to do this but it really helps. Also use it a lot in August and September when I go out glassing in the evenings.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:16 am

I'll start by saying that I don't bike to any of the properties that I hunt. Heck, the closest property that I have access to is a 30 min drive anyways.

There is one public property that I hunt that I take my bike to get back 1-1.5 miles on hiking and horse trails much quicker than walking. I keep the bike at the truck or campground if there has been recent rains as there are some areas on the trail that gets rather muddy and difficult to navigate in the dark. I've ridden right past deer that are along the trails in the dark!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”