Not sure on bedding or set-up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Not sure on bedding or set-up

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I went for a walk on Saturday into an area I only partially scouted this spring. I walked along a brushy point coming from the swamp and came face to face with a bedded doe 5 yards away.I continued up the point and found a huge rub on a tree at least 10 or 12 " in diameter. Deep scors in it and buck droppings under the tree that were only hours old.There was a single bed 10 feet from rub, not sure if it was his bed or not.
I,m wondering i guess if he,s bedding there which is actually a perfect bedding spot .There is no way to get even close to him from that spot.Or is he mabey bedding deeper into the marsh.I know bucks like them points jutting out. If he is in that point there would be no chance of a evening hunt.With all the fresh sign i wanta go back very soon for a hunt b4 he relocates or shifts bedding .There is a small waterhole 15 yards west of him,with a 3 big trees which would be my only tree close by.Any ideas.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Not sure on bedding or set-up

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:19 am

What did the bed look like? Lots of hair? A depression in the ground showing bare dirt? Just trying to gauge how much he may or may not use the bed. You may wanna wait a little bit before going back in there; maybe after a rain, so it washes your existing scent away.

If your considering a morning hunt, you may wanna look at Dan's moon days. Those are the mornings best reserved to catch him coming back to his bed later in the morning. Good Luck
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 am

Sounds like you pushed him out of there.. I would of set up over that bed Sunday morning.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:26 pm

I left out some of that post the first time sorry. When I bumped the doe she ran east across the grassland and was long gone.Then I found the buck bed(or at least i think his bed) ,then I found the huge rub with fresh droppings.So I then backed out and circled around to the NE to peek around.Did,nt want to screw anything else up for the buck.But when I stepped into the transition just 50 yards west of the Buckbed I busted out a slob that ran West back into the swamp.So what I was thinking was the buck was useing the doe bedding as an early alarm system and when she spooked and ran East ,he rose from bed and creeped a little deeper into the swamp to avoid whatever spooked her..And when I circled around to the NE I actually bumped the buck that had just rose from bed.Does any of that seem likely.

Green is my trail
Red is buck trail (I think)
Pink is doe trail
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:19 am

Swampthing wrote:I left out some of that post the first time sorry. When I bumped the doe she ran east across the grassland and was long gone.Then I found the buck bed(or at least i think his bed) ,then I found the huge rub with fresh droppings.So I then backed out and circled around to the NE to peek around.Did,nt want to screw anything else up for the buck.But when I stepped into the transition just 50 yards west of the Buckbed I busted out a slob that ran West back into the swamp.So what I was thinking was the buck was useing the doe bedding as an early alarm system and when she spooked and ran East ,he rose from bed and creeped a little deeper into the swamp to avoid whatever spooked her..And when I circled around to the NE I actually bumped the buck that had just rose from bed.Does any of that seem likely.

Green is my trail
Red is buck trail (I think)
Pink is doe trail

When you busted out the slob, did you look for a bed where he was ? If there was no bed, then ya, maybe that's likely that he just moved over there when the doe busted out.. But if there was a bed over there where you busted him out, maybe that's where he was the whole time ? my $ .o2
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 am

no bed i looked pretty good, that,s why i,m thinking he had already slipped out and the i bumped him again
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:36 am

you should have set up on him the next morning, the 19th... been a lot of time, may be lost cause now.

perfect bump n dump setup you had working..
You can't kill em on the couch

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”