Poachers! what a shame!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Poachers! what a shame!

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 09, 2015 12:07 pm

remmag wrote:No need for the negativity. I believe the actual limit is 10 tags.still, that's a ridiculous amount considering the amount of hunters in this state. If I'm still wrong about the limit # how about educating me and the rest of MI hunters here instead of just being rude. This site was made for education and good minded hunters. Welcome to the beast! 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree remmag. No need for attacking somebody for being wrong about something. That stuff may be allowed at Archery (Argue) Talk but we don't do things that way here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sat May 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Right on guys, no room for that stuff here 8-)

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat May 09, 2015 1:40 pm

You are right. 10 antlerless per season in most areas, 5 in others. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/ ... 9377_7.pdf Page 16. That's a ton of venison. You can buy 5 per day if you're not hunting on public land, 2 if you are.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sat May 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:You are right. 10 antlerless per season in most areas, 5 in others. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/ ... 9377_7.pdf Page 16. That's a ton of venison. You can buy 5 per day if you're not hunting on public land, 2 if you are.

Thanks for the info Dhurtubise 8-) with 2 buck tags and 10 doe tags, ille have to tame back my beast tendencies of killing 12+ deer :lol:

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun May 10, 2015 12:59 am

Gecnav... maybe u missed the fine print. .. no limit on public till qouta is met... at 2 a day from late September when they go on sale until mid november when southeast mi usually meets limit that is easily over 100 tags someone could purchase.. id say id classify that as unlimited. In my life that has changed many times so I could see how people get confused.. read ur rules plz fellas..

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun May 10, 2015 2:11 am

Plz explain page 8/13... public land purchase limits. Unlimited until quotas r met.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun May 10, 2015 2:21 am

Maybe I am understanding it wrong... Its says "Antlerless Deer License Purchase Limits (Per Hunter) .... Bottom right corner of season purchase limit. Public Land no limit until quota is met. Also.. I have never bought 10 doe permits ever.. I buy 2. I would guess most of the hunters in the state do probably close to the same. As I stated before they seem to change this every few yrs so it can be difficult to figure out what is going on.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun May 10, 2015 2:59 am

Oldrank, I don't think you will be getting a reply I think that dude is adios :lol: Back to the original post, yea that is a shame. I agree that it most likely was slobs who let the meat spoil then dumped the bodies. Deer hides are not worth enough to skin them like that.

I also agree that there is a good chance it was not poachers per se - they all may have been legally killed, but then the meat was wasted which is the true tragedy - that's not poaching but hopefully illegal as well.

In Iowa 10 years ago when we started having lots of antlerless tags available I saw things like this all the time. Scouting in the spring, I could see where standers were on deer drives in spots because of the large numbers of doe carcasses laying roughly in a line across pieces of timber - where the line of standers were. I would find dozens of dead deer on every piece of public land. A neighbor bragged about killing almost 100 deer off his 600 acre farm for the year - I told him that's a lot of venison and he responded they only bothered to drag out the bucks. I never understood that bloodlust. There are still lots of doe tags but happily I see less waste now.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sun May 10, 2015 3:21 am

Stay tuned for my new post which will be entitled- "its a shame people have to be so difficult" :lol:

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 am

First of all, kudos to Dan for letting this new person know this is the BEAST. Second of all, :clap: to you Remmag for how you responded. Third, oldrank way to correct this gentlemen and back up another respected member here.

Now to get back to your thread...I have seen this many times on state land. I spoke with a landowner who said he found over 30 does, and button bucks on his property that had been gut shot and never tracked from the neighbors who had block permits and unlimited private tags. He called the Local DNR and they didn't do anything about the issue.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:15 am

Too bad about the pictures, poachers? who knows, always a story behind it all. also Dan, good on ya for turning this thread around
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun May 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Wow, I own land in southern mi and did'nt know we were allowed that many doe tags. I only buy one doe tag and my combo license. Don't understand why someone would need that many tags. I filled my 3 last year and that was plenty. To each their own

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sun May 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Wow, I own land in southern mi and did'nt know we were allowed that many doe tags. I only buy one doe tag and my combo license. Don't understand why someone would need that many tags. I filled my 3 last year and that was plenty. To each their own

I do the same, combo license and one doe tag. I can't imagine anybody needing that many tags every year. Not to mention, this is in a state that is considering not even having a deer season this year in the u.p. because of low deer herd #s. I wasn't trying to bad mouth the DNR, I know that there's a lot of things that are out of there hands as well, it just gets frustrating as a MI resident to watch countless bad decisions over and over again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”