Thermals next to water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

Thermals next to water

Unread postby ZSV » Thu May 07, 2015 12:17 pm

This point is the only area on this piece of public I could find with good deer sign and no tree stands. On the aerial the border is field edge and goes straight north to the road. The trees to the right is public. On the topo the border is the black dotted line. So if someone is going to access this area legally without permission from the private owner to the west they need to go around or across the large pond. It looks like a good rut funnel to me. The trees are mostly oaks with small groups of cedar that I found several doe beds around. I'm planning on taking my canoe across the pond for easy access.
How do you think the water will affect the thermals with a west wind? Will there still be a tunnel near the top 1/3? There are trails near the top, middle, and bottom of the hill. Where would be best to set up for an all day rut sit?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
dirt nap giver

Re: Thermals next to water

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu May 07, 2015 1:35 pm

On shore and off shore breezes(thermals) are a definite.
Just like hill country, off shore in the morning and evening. On shore during the day. Don't know how that would work with the hill country adjacent to it. Thank goodness for milk weed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
cbay
500 Club

Re: Thermals next to water

Unread postby cbay » Sat May 09, 2015 3:22 am

Haven't been on here in a while but thought i'd give my .02 on that setup. Have had mixed results with that terrain and wind going different directions, but going in where marked would be my approach with a w/sw wind. Getting dropped off has given me the element of surprise a few times when i had a buddy that wanted to fish while i hunted. Did have the wind work some with the boat tied up as well in similar set ups but the ridge was a little more stretched out distance wise. Those cedars have been a magnet for travel routes around here.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”