Playing the Thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Playing the Thermals

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:45 am

THERMALS!! Still so much to learn.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 01, 2015 3:04 am

That is interesting. I have never tested thermals in the AM in hill country, never thought to, just always assumed they continued to fall all night just like they rise all day. I wonder if water changes that, because I know some swamps I hunt down here pull thermals all night into the AM, but I guess that all depends on the air/water temp.

When you start talking water thermals I agree, certain bodies of water hold heat or cold longer and can last all night.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri May 01, 2015 3:07 am

headgear wrote:
dan wrote: Your not "disagreeing" with me... Cause I agree with what you said, I am referring to the evening thermal drop that is below the bedding area pictured... In this case, I see no advantage.

Ya looking back on his question I wasn't 100% sure what was going on, re-read it and still don't know. :lol:

I wasn't sure if the deer trail I saw going through this area was from bucks or does.. So I wanted to ask the question if there was a thermal advantage for this particular spot. Also due to the geographical features a deer could walk through this area and slip into the swamp bottom without being seen which also peaked my interest.

I apologize about the stupid question and please bear with me, I'm still learning.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 01, 2015 3:13 am

If your talking aboput a "trail" going thru that area my answer changes... I thought you were refering to bucks bedding there. If does are bedding there bucks will cruise thAt spot you pointed out at the thermal drop to check if any does are in heat.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri May 01, 2015 3:19 am

dan wrote:If your talking aboput a "trail" going thru that area my answer changes... I thought you were refering to bucks bedding there. If does are bedding there bucks will cruise thAt spot you pointed out at the thermal drop to check if any does are in heat.

Oh no the bedding area is in the purple (above the points) on the map. There is a deer trail that goes from the bedding area through these points into the hardwood bottom to the West. Due to the change in elevation & foliage a deer could easily slip from bedding to hardwoods without being seen unless you were right there.

What I'm asking is would bucks travel down these points to the hardwoods (granted IF they're bedding inside the purple). I'm looking for a spot to give me an opportunity at a bachelor group of bucks, and for some reason my gut is telling me this is the spot.

I agree this spot could produce some nice deer during the rut, they could easily scent check the entire field from these points. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of rubs in that particular spot. It was very dense vegetation so I could have missed some rubs.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 am

In Montana if it was calm the thermals pulled downward all night.You knew where other hunters camped by smelling their smoke from campfires. This lasted until after daylight on the shady slopes or if it was cloudy. I had partners head up sunny slopes towards bulls while I stayed on a shaded slope. Where the thermals still were heading down. When we met up they'd say the wind changed. I'd say I know and explain the thermals and the effect the sun has on them. In this bigger country the thermals seemed move down at an angle heading cross slope toward the bigger valley or creek.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 01, 2015 3:38 am

Twenty Up wrote:I apologize about the stupid question and please bear with me, I'm still learning.

Hey now, there are no stupid questions around here so no need to apologize. I should have asked a few more questions so I was sure what you were talking about. ;)

This isn't easy stuff and we all speak in different terms from different experience levels so it's easy to get confused by a great many things.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 01, 2015 3:49 am

Twenty Up wrote:
headgear wrote:
dan wrote: Your not "disagreeing" with me... Cause I agree with what you said, I am referring to the evening thermal drop that is below the bedding area pictured... In this case, I see no advantage.

Ya looking back on his question I wasn't 100% sure what was going on, re-read it and still don't know. :lol:

I wasn't sure if the deer trail I saw going through this area was from bucks or does.. So I wanted to ask the question if there was a thermal advantage for this particular spot. Also due to the geographical features a deer could walk through this area and slip into the swamp bottom without being seen which also peaked my interest.

I apologize about the stupid question and please bear with me, I'm still learning.

I think it was a good question. We are all learning, so judgment doesn't come into play.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri May 01, 2015 7:33 am

I agree, good question. This is a little terrain feature that really doesn't get dissected and discussed much.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”