final marsh scout..for that spot..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

final marsh scout..for that spot..

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 am

Went back into the marsh again...poured ovover the maps and points I plotted...a while and knew what I wanted to see...

Went back to the tree I believe he beds under...no fresh sign of him using it...

Walking in I wanted to cut his tracks and follow them back from the field...he had a heavy trail in a cut bean field last time I was there...I went the direction of the trail...DUH...it was going into a second field I didn't know about...

Went into it and its got a heavy trail of his giant tracks going into the marsh....followed them as far as I could which was 100yds or so from the tree I think is his...

I think right now he may be bedding in the closed area...the marsh recedded and the growth around his bed is pretty open right now...

I went to the scrape...there are 3 trails...well..2..one goes east/west..the others comes from the south and Ts off with the other...

I got to thinking about his tracks and rubs west of the marsh...

No defined trail leaving the marsh that direction..

I think he is coming out of the marsh...hitting the scrape and feeding on the oaks and headed west and making a loop out to the crops...his trails in the crops head straight into the marsh....makes sense looking at the big picture..

Southwest wind is predominant in the early season and I can sit on the north side of the scrape and hopefully stick a slicktrick mag through his lungs....

Took me a while to put the pieces together on my first marsh buck...but I think I have a good plan...October will be here and I will put it to test...

The fields should be wet enough I can spot check them...and I would like to get my cameras hung...one on the fields I can check during a rain right before season or the first time I hunt it...and the other goes over the scrape come July or so and stays there the entire season to try to figure it out in case my plan doesn't work...

Biggest hurdle is trees...there a big oaks all around the scrape but they are the (pin?) Oaks with the best little twig limbs and such so its gunna be a little tricky to be quiet...but there are a good bit of good options...and even if he comes out of the closed area or the tree I think he beds on I should have him...

Onto the next spot....this time of year is actually better for marsh scouting here...a few weeks ago was tough with the deep water from the snow melt...but it will green up really quick...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”