mineral/bait site location.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cameron

mineral/bait site location.

Unread postby cameron » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:35 pm

I don't know if this has been covered before, but for those of you that put out mineral sites and bait sites what things do you look for and why(terrain etc.)? I have put them out in the past but just based on a spot looking like a "good spot". I hunt hill country that is all timber, I don't plan on hunting over these spots but want to utilize them to find out what deer are in the area as well as give them a source to travel to.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: mineral/bait site location.

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:17 pm

I like to put my mineral site known food source. I don't have them anywhere near spots I intend on hunting. I have a few in different locations and use trail cameras over them to get inventory of what bucks are in the area. Has worked well for me in that sense.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Near water seems to work for me. They'll find it eventually
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:02 am

In the past I pick mineral lick spots near where lots of deer end up yet as far from my potential hunting locations I could get on a property - for two reasons hunting over or near salt and bait is illegal here and even if it was legal I don't want to disturb set ups which are typically closer to bedding.

Generally that meant my salt licks were near food, typically near ag fields such as clover, alfalfa, and soybeans around here that are the preferred food sources at the time I want to get a trail cam inventory in the summer. Deer will easily find it if the salt lick is within a few hundred yards of where they congregate to feed. Just inside field edges are easy access to your cams as well.

I never have used bait to attract deer for trail cameras other than a couple buckets of apples in the summer but I imagine locating it is the same principle of a salt lick.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:03 pm

I just finished my 5th and last site today. I have been using a feed block surrounded by minerals to get the site going. All my sites are near water or food and at least 500 yards from my setups. These sites are for inventory purposes only.

toneal78
Facebook: www.facebook.com/travis.oneal.75

Unread postby toneal78 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:35 pm

I put mine just inside the timber of a food source. As far as hunting goes come August bucks won't frequent those spots anymore but does with fawns will. I put them just off deer trails. I get 3000-5000 pictures from March to August.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:54 am

I put mine away from where I plan to hunt several hundred yards in thick cover I like pine thickets and super thick logged off areas. The harder for another hunter to find the better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”