Crossing a pretty deep muddy bottom river??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Crossing a pretty deep muddy bottom river??

Unread postby briar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:02 am

Any tips on getting across muddy bottom fairly deep rivers or creeks? Its about 30 feet wide, soft mud bottom and looks to be 3-5 feet deep. Do I need a boat of some sort? Very nervous about getting stuck in the bottom, not looking to drown.

hunter_mike

Re: Crossing a pretty deep muddy bottom river??

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:19 am

I have thought about this a bunch over the past couple years and plan to do some testing this summer when the water warms up.

Two methods i want to test:

1. Two tractor tire inner tubes, pfd, chest waders and a canoe paddle.

2. Haul in a canoe/kayak using a deer cart.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:04 am

A few weeks back, i took a boat into a remote area and attempted to get out of the boat on the bank...I nearly lost a boot in the quick mud and that was on the bank. I finally dug my boot out and found a downed tree to tie off too instead. I can't imagine trying to walk across in waders before light.

My advice is to make a practice crossing so you know what you are dealing with ahead of time. However, rivers change all of the time and are very unpredictable
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:10 am

I've historically used my belly boat in that situation, crossing at the riffle vs. pool or run. Water is a touch shallower and the bottom is firmer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 am

I regularly use creeks with the characteristics you stated. As much as I think I know them, its the times in the dark where I find something I didn't know. Life flashed before my eyes when I found a hole last year and my water filled up with 40 degree water. I developed a "this isn't worth it attitude" but quickly remembered the value and improvised.
I would consider using a raft or tube to walk with. It helps with footing stability and for carrying my bow. Nice to sit on going down stream as well. If the creek is varying in water depth a tag line is imperative. Access through creeks is a huge advantage I will always use, just need to be smart about it, particularly in the dark.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 am

Get a boat. There are too many variables to consider when your hunting. You're going to have gear, it's gonna be dark, your going to be anxious and/or in a hurry. Something will go wrong eventually. Cutting corners is just going to cost you. Imo

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”