Explain this Dan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Explain this Dan

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Pounding that stand in my opinion will not only damage it now, but for years.
I read this the other day and I've been meaning to ask you this ever since I read It on a post you made. Not at all doubting what your saying here but elaborate If you will on how this can screw It up for years to come by hunting too hard In one spot now. I figured I'd post this for us all to see being maybe others then just me can learn something here.

Thanks In advance. 8-)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Explain this Dan

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:30 am

I believe deer will remember a place of danger... Say you were walking thru a woods and saw a big hole under a tree and as you passed by a bear ran out of it at you... Every time you pass that spot again, you would circle way around "just in case" I would imagine you would not forget for a long time... Young bucks and does grow to be old bucks and does. I fully believe they are capable of remembering where they encountered danger.
The smell of a human is alarming. This by itself would probably only create concern for a short while... But repetitive human scent is something to worry about... If you saw a bear track in my yard, you would look over your shoulder and feel nervous for a moment or two. You would forget about it after a while... If you see new tracks every time out, I think you would be worried a little about the bear... Maybe bears are a bad example because they don't really hunt people. Imagine a tiger maybe. :lol:
For experience, I can relate this to my public land hunting. I know where several good spots are that someone else sits and sits often. Generally the deer im after skirt around those stands 40 or more yards down wind.
It would be a lot easier to right past the stand, but even in the summer I find the trails still circling around the "known" stand site.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm

[quote=" Imagine a tiger maybe. :lol:
.[/quote] I'll just image a dinasour. :lol:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Good stuff Dan, thanks!! Makes plenty of sense with the same deer avoiding a stand year after year with the way you explained It. Do you figure other deer that were never Involved with this over hunted spot pick up on how a certain deer acts at this said place and avoid this spot too?
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Do you figure other deer that were never Involved with this over hunted spot pick up on how a certain deer acts at this said place and avoid this spot too?

I do and agree with Dan, overhunting a spot can cause long term damage. Last winter, I was hunting about 60 yards from a permanent I burned out and hadn't sat in 3 years. Two year and a half bucks came out, crossed my path going in and got nervous. One of the bucks locked on to my permanent and started stomping. Maybe he saw the irregular shape in the tree or maybe his mother had always skirted that spot. Hard to say, but if you were out running with your buddies and they always avoided a particular spot, you would avoid it as well. Maybe you don't know why, but the route around that spot becomes the preferred route to take.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Makes sense guys, thanks!!
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 am

Kinda like that big old buck that nearly gets hit by a car on the highway 3-4 dozen times....then finally does get hit!!! LOL!!! They quickly recognize and learn to avoid danger!! LOL!!! I just kiddin!! LOL!!! :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”