Slob success rate

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Slob success rate

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:42 am

Here's a question for all of you slob hunters: What is your rate of success? How many days do you sit without seeing or having a shot at a slob?

Last year, I had saw two slobs on stand the entire season. I didn't have a shot opportunity at either one of them. I ended up taking two smaller bucks and a doe.

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Slob success rate

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Depends greatly on where I am hunting...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:32 pm

dan wrote:Depends greatly on where I am hunting...

Sure. So let's confine it to heavily hunted land, public or private. Lot's of hunter competition.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Last couple years have sucked here... I probably seen about a 1/2 dozen true Slobs in the last two seasons around my home... But a road trip to public land in South central Wisconsin last year ( not pre-scouted ) provided two close calls with Slobs in 4 days....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Depends on what your definition of slob is and what part of the state?

In northern Wisconsin I consider any buck over 4 1/2 years old a slob and the area I hunt on public land they are few and far between. I have been hunting up there for 15 years and only saw maybe 5 or 6 in that time so my success rate up there is very low. I'm still working on shooting a slob up there. Had a few opportunities but something always seemed to go wrong and screw me up! :oops:

Southern Wisconsin is much different and I consider any buck over 130" or 3 1/2 years old a slob on public land. Lately if I get a shot opportunity at 2-3 deer of this caliber a season I consider that to be pretty good. I'm sure some people on quality managed land will laugh at that since some may see that in a single day but this is reality on public land.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:22 am

Dewey wrote:Depends on what your definition of slob is and what part of the state?

To me, a "slob" is an outstanding deer for your area. Not the average buck that you see in your neck of the woods.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am

Success Rate may not be the best term. A lot of guys get on a deer in a known bedding area and just decide to pass on him. I find it rewarding just to get on a deer in a known bed I have figured out, but he's not always the one. I've really keyed in on the beds the past couple years since hearing about Marsh Bucks and Hill Country Bucks. Last year killed two 2.5 year olds and this year a 3.5 year old. Two years ago before learning all this stuff I killed a buck mabey every other year. Remembering that a buck spends 90% of his daylight hours in or near his bed has changed the way I hunt bucks, does too but I think they wander a bit farther from their bed before dark.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:44 am

GRUD wrote:Success Rate may not be the best term.

Sweet Moses! Didn't I give a definition of what I meant by "success rate" in my opening question: "How many days do you sit without seeing or having a shot at a slob?" :roll: I'm just interested in hearing about how long you hold out or go between getting onto or getting a crack at or harvesting a whitetail buck that's outstanding by your standards. :mrgreen:
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Last year 2 slob encounters.And i hunted a lot .So mabey 1 out of 2o hunts .1 shot oppurtunity 1 no shot just seen him.
So far this year seen 1 slob no shot, little out of range
dbl lung

Unread postby dbl lung » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Last year was terrible for slob encounters for me after taking 65 stands combination am/pm. I had 2 encounters during the late season. I missed once and did not get to shoot the 2nd time. Hoping to get another shot at the one I missed this season at some point. I have had years where I have seen upto 8 bucks I would consider slobs/140" or bigger.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 am

I usually see 4-6 and maybe get a shot at one per season. This season has been really hard for me; I got close to a big one the first weekend but since then all I have seen is 2-3 year olds I didn't want to shoot. It seems like everytime I lay down a good plan something I didn't expect messes up the hunt....It's been tough and now we're getting close to the rut and they will be gone running everywhere :(
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks guys! Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Keep 'em coming!
I got out for opener this morning. Hunted a travel corridor back to bedding. The buck came through at 6:30, 15 minutes before I could see enough to get a crack at him. Lone deer. Nothing else. Got down and as I was packing up had a Fisher cat come from downwind of me and climb up a dead tree not 5 yards from me. He started digging around in there and I was fumbling for my camera. Managed to get off this shot.
IMG_3249.JPG
He pulled his head out and started checking me out, but he couldn't get my scent. I'm really happy so far with this Tru-Carbon stuff. After about 5 minutes he scurried off in search of something else. 8-)
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:12 am

NatureBoy wrote:
Dewey wrote:Depends on what your definition of slob is and what part of the state?

To me, a "slob" is an outstanding deer for your area. Not the average buck that you see in your neck of the woods.
By this standered...I avg. 3 or 4 a year within bow rang. Killed mature bucks 7 of the past 8 years on public land with the bow...Got burned one year holding out for a 190" typical I had seen in the area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”