Filling the Freezer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beast-Mode

Filling the Freezer

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:04 am

Here in Minnesota we can only shoot one deer a year (around me anyway) so me and a couple of buddies want to try our luck out of state to fill up the freezer. We do not care about trophy potential really, more interested in more opportunities to take multiple deer. The only stipulation is has to be gun(rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader) as not all of us shoot bow. It also would need to be in December or later as we are all busy with work in the fall. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on a hunt that fits the bill? Thanks!

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Filling the Freezer

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Most of the southeastern US states have very liberal bag limits and depending on where you are hunting you may have good rut activity. I wouldn't expect easy, fill up the truck, hunting on public land though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:37 pm

Florida has 2 bucks per day and 4 in possession all season. No does during gun except a couple weekends on private only. Good luck finding a buck on public, especially with the 3 on a side rules starting next year. It's going to be slim pickings for a couple years.

Georgia allows 10 does and 2 bucks. I bet that would be great on an outfitter hunt.

AL just changed, but I think it is 3 bucks and unlimited does, but only one per day.

I bet you can kill a bunch of deer in TX.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:11 pm

That late in the year sounds like somewhere in the south is for you. My neighbor goes down to Alabama with a coupleof buddies every year in either December or January. They usually bring home 5 or 6 deer between the 3 of them. They hunt on private tho.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Wow. That one deer thing doesn't seem very easy.
And hopefully your fridge is a little one.
I don't have any insight but understand your dilemma and frustrations.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:41 pm

A fellow MN boy understands your situation. I go on an out state gun hunt each year with friends.
We hunt public land, sometimes getting permission to hunt a little private. A few years back we
hunted Kansas and I think that was the first week of Dec. Otherwise we usually going the last
half of Nov. Went to WY last fall and tagged a deer there and in MN. We always go on rifle hunts
as that is what everyone has. Camping is fun in the forest, but we stay in town now as everyone
likes that better. I know we run into other hunters with doe only tags for SD when hunting WY.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:02 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Most of the southeastern US states have very liberal bag limits and depending on where you are hunting you may have good rut activity. I wouldn't expect easy, fill up the truck, hunting on public land though.

X2

Been to 'Bama hunting in 94 and shot 4-deer in 4-days...
Texas was 7-Doe and an 8 pointer...

Almost like NH hunting - NOT!!! :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:59 pm

I see deer meat more like a treat than a staple for a full freezer. My son and I average one deer per season. When we want to fill our freezer we buy 50 little Cronish Cross chickens and 8 weeks later we have the best darn meat we could ask for. My freezer actually holds 500 lbs of meat and that would take 10 deer.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Nantucket Island in Massachusetts has unlimited tags. Shotgun season is 2 weeks in December. You won't see a trophy buck out there. Most deer probably dress out at about 100 lbs. But there are a ton of them. If you're going with some buddies get a drive on and you'll leave with plenty of meat.

Getting a FID card or LTC as an out of state resident is a PITA though.. and you need it to possess a gun.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:55 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:
Getting a FID card or LTC as an out of state resident is a PITA though.. and you need it to possess a gun.

Only if you are a resident.

Massachusetts Gun Laws

POSSESSION: For hunting, resident citizens ages 15 and over must have a Firearms Identification Card (FID) to possess a low-capacity rifle or shotgun. A License To Carry (LTC) (age 21 and over) is needed to possess large capacity rifles and shotguns and all handguns. These gun licenses are issued by local Police Departments. Non-residents with a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license do not need an LTC or FID to possess or carry a rifle or shotgun, but must carry their firearms unloaded and in a case while traveling in their vehicles. Non-residents may not purchase guns or ammunition in Massachusetts. To obtain a non-resident License To Carry or a non-resident permit to possess handguns, contact the CHSB (Criminal History Systems Board), Firearms Support Services (see below). No gun license is needed by bow hunters, nor by minors 12-14 years old hunting with a duly licensed adult, nor for the possession of primitive rifles or shotguns as defined in MGL Ch. 140, Section 121, or their ammunition. However, an LTC or FID is required to purchase all ammunition including black powder and Pyrodex.

http://www.eregulations.com/massachuset ... -gun-laws/

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:24 am

Keep in mind that you will have to shoot almost twice as many of those southern deer to get as much meat as you would from Minnesota deer. That's not a big deal if its just recreation but it should be if filling the freezer is the top priority. I routinely get 60-70 pounds of meat off a big midwestern doe.

I would go to another midwestern state - lots of them allow multiple antlerless tags, reasonable non-res tag prices (and special late antlerless seasons) and you just can't beat deer populations in the midwest. We have it great here. If it was me I would look at Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, something like that. I don't know the specific regs in those states but that's where I would start.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:

Only if you are a resident.

Massachusetts Gun Laws

POSSESSION: For hunting, resident citizens ages 15 and over must have a Firearms Identification Card (FID) to possess a low-capacity rifle or shotgun. A License To Carry (LTC) (age 21 and over) is needed to possess large capacity rifles and shotguns and all handguns. These gun licenses are issued by local Police Departments. Non-residents with a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license do not need an LTC or FID to possess or carry a rifle or shotgun, but must carry their firearms unloaded and in a case while traveling in their vehicles. Non-residents may not purchase guns or ammunition in Massachusetts. To obtain a non-resident License To Carry or a non-resident permit to possess handguns, contact the CHSB (Criminal History Systems Board), Firearms Support Services (see below). No gun license is needed by bow hunters, nor by minors 12-14 years old hunting with a duly licensed adult, nor for the possession of primitive rifles or shotguns as defined in MGL Ch. 140, Section 121, or their ammunition. However, an LTC or FID is required to purchase all ammunition including black powder and Pyrodex.

http://www.eregulations.com/massachuset ... -gun-laws/

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

There you go... I just learned something... Kind of messed up though. A resident gets thrown in the clink for possessing a gun an out of stater doesn't need a permit for... Only in the CommieWealth...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”