I'm a buck in the darkness one hour before sun-up.......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

I'm a buck in the darkness one hour before sun-up.......

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:19 am

How do bucks determine where they will bed prior to the sun rising, and prior to any wind coming up and dictating a prevailing direction? So if a buck were moving through the night and about one hour before sun-up he decided to head back to bed, where would he bed without any knowledge of the upcoming wind direction?

Treejunkie

Re: I'm a buck in the darkness one hour before sun-up.......

Unread postby Treejunkie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:34 am

I know bucks will change bedding locations if the wind changes during the day. I watched one 2 years ago do this. He was a decent 10pt and he bedded within 75 yards of me. The wind switched at about 9am and was steadily blowing out of the west when at first light it was blowing due north.

He got up, moved about 30 yards and re-bedded facing east. Was cool to see. I believe bucks have several bedding areas picked out in their home range. Wherever they end up near daylight, they probably bed in their pre-determined spot and adjust accordingly.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 am

Tree, that is really cool. I have never witnessed something like that in the woods. I wonder if any of you guys have set-up in anticipation that a predicted wind change will cause a buck to move and therefore be able to be killed?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:53 am

virginiashadow wrote:Tree, that is really cool. I have never witnessed something like that in the woods. I wonder if any of you guys have set-up in anticipation that a predicted wind change will cause a buck to move and therefore be able to be killed?

I have not, but might be a good idea...
However this year during the rut, I plan on hunting that leeward side of the hill... When you watch the Hill country land video of Dan's, it really makes sense... So if the prevailing wind is out of the North for that day, I will be trying to find a tree on the South side a 1/3 of the way down the hill... I'm really looking forward to trying this out this year...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:56 am

DB, I have watched that video many times over. :)

I am thinking I could use the shifting wind to try and kill bucks outside of the rut. It is a factor that could cause them to actually get up and move, thereby making them able to be killed. Just thinking out loud here guys.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:03 am

The problem with actually trying to set up to anticipate a wind change is the actual period just prior to the shift. IME the wind doesnt just go from n to s or n to w or whatever, there is a brief period of swirling and if your on a bucks bedding area that could be problematic. I'd much rather know that im going to have a consistent wind and plan accordingly.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Dor is correct... I have watched them shift beds when the winds change and the move is not far... You could possibly set up on it in the right situation, but most of the time the wind would screw you...

A better set up would be to find a buck bed that is wind specific for the predominant wind that does not have a shiftable bed near it and when the wind changes midday use that change to get set up on the bed with the wind advantage... Big bucks will not move long distances when shifting beds...
My biggest buck score wise was shot in his bed at 15 yards on Thanksgiving day after a midday wind change...
If you would like to read the article about this buck and how I used the wind change to outsmart him click this link:
http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic ... 159&t=1349
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Excellent post. Funny how the most simple concepts hold the most value. Thanks for getting me thinking.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Thank you guys for your responses. They have my mind moving this morning....I like this one:

"A better set up would be to find a buck bed that is wind specific for the predominant wind that does not have a shiftable bed near it and when the wind changes midday use that change to get set up on the bed with the wind advantage... Big bucks will not move long distances when shifting beds..."
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:18 pm

dan wrote: Big bucks will not move long distances when shifting beds...
There are no absuluts..."WILL NOT" is a very bad chose of words...Maybe "usually don't" would be better. I've seen them move 200-300 yards on numerous occasions. I would consider that long distance.

What do you consider long distance Dan?
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:22 pm

virginiashadow wrote: So if a buck were moving through the night and about one hour before sun-up he decided to head back to bed, where would he bed without any knowledge of the upcoming wind direction?

I'm also curious about this question??????
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
dan wrote: Big bucks will not move long distances when shifting beds...
There are no absuluts..."WILL NOT" is a very bad chose of words...Maybe "usually don't" would be better. I've seen them move 200-300 yards on numerous occasions. I would consider that long distance.

What do you consider long distance Dan?

You are correct... "will not" should be "will not usually"...
200 to 300 yards ( or more ) I would consider a long distance.
I have seen young bucks move longer distances... But not true mature bucks. I am, sure that it does happen on some occasions, and in some places...
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:53 am

virginiashadow wrote:How do bucks determine where they will bed prior to the sun rising, and prior to any wind coming up and dictating a prevailing direction? So if a buck were moving through the night and about one hour before sun-up he decided to head back to bed, where would he bed without any knowledge of the upcoming wind direction?

Im curious too..
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 am

dan wrote: I have seen young bucks move longer distances... But not true mature bucks.

You could be right about those younger bucks, IDK...never killed one, I rarely even see one because thats not what I hunt for.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:How do bucks determine where they will bed prior to the sun rising, and prior to any wind coming up and dictating a prevailing direction? So if a buck were moving through the night and about one hour before sun-up he decided to head back to bed, where would he bed without any knowledge of the upcoming wind direction?

Im curious too..

I believe they bed based on the wind direction at the time they bed. Even in calm conditions there is a breeze that has a distinct direction in most cases... Check with your milkweed if you don't believe it.

This is also a good reason bucks like points and beds with multiple winds being ok... On a point a short move for a change in direction is easy unless its a drastic wind direction change.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”