Brad's Hunting Bio

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Brad's Hunting Bio

Unread postby Brad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

I was asked in a separate thread to do a bio of my hunting career and explain some of what I have learned and how I do some things. I am honored to have been called out by one of the elite hunters ( to me anyway) from this site, it is very humbling, however I still make a ton of mistakes and do not know anywhere near all the answers, nor do I want to. What i talk about is stuff I have had good consistent success with over the years, it may work for you, it may not.

First off, 80% of my "tactics" have come from this site. I thought I knew what I was doing before hand , but I was just lucky in all honesty. I had no real consistency other than killing a few deer at random each year. I joined in 2011 and have tagged all but two of my biggest top 10 bucks since then, so needless to say I have learned a TON! I hunt in Wisconsin on both public and private, but mostly private for the time being. I am not going to sit here and tell you that the spot I mainly hunt is over run with pressure, it isn't except during gun season. What I will say is the biggest bucks killed each year on this property are falling to me, and that is not bragging nor should it sound that way, it just merely demonstrates that what I do does seem to work there and even on a spot hunted by about 15 other hunters, the tactics rise to the top, especially since I am the newest hunter on the farm as far of years of hunting there go. I know that I only will have access to this particular spot until my father in law remains the hired man, and he is not getitng any younger nor is he wanting to work much longer, so I knew I had to find something else to help me kill deer when I lose this spot. I cannot afford a lease, so that meant public. I wanted to learn to hunt public the right way successfully, and that lead me to here. I do hunt public each year to keep the pressure off my private, and to expand my horizons. I have had some close encounters with very nice bucks on public, but did not seal the deal.

I just turned 30, I am overweight (working on that) and work at the dmv doing 4 ten's. This allows me 3 day weekends each week, as well as around 5 weeks of vacation time each year to use. I split that pretty evenly between deer and turkey hunting. I have a lot of time to pursue my hobby and I am very fortunate to work in a field that allows that, that is huge in itself. I could make more money elsewhere, but I also would have to sacrifice beloved hunting/scouting time and thats not a good plan to me.

Now, enough about me, more about my tactics.

Hunting the land, not the deer itsself

I am first and foremost a terrain hunter. That means many things and takes lots of shapes, but what I mean is I generally do not hunt the deer, I hunt the terrain expecting deer to relate to it in some form. Some examples are hunting transition lines, whether its pine tree's butting up to hardwoods, hardwoods to CRP , thick cover butting up to less dense cover, timber to cattails and so on. Another example would be hunting thermal tunnels in hill country, saddles, ridgelines, obstacles such as downed fences or tree's and so on and so forth. I find it very easy to find these types of spots on maps, be it areal maps or topo maps. I have not totally figured out the maps and still have a long way to go, but I feel comfy going in practically blind to spots and expecting to be on some of what should be the hottest ground in the particular spot. It does not always pan out, but often times it gets me close and I can figure out and adjust on the fly from there.

I am guilty of not scouting as much as I need to, but I have been improving on that the past several years. I scout out the spots I THINK should be good, and when I get to them and they show sign, I pick out a tree and plan an entry and exit. Some of these spots pan out, some do not and are scrapped after a hunt or two. I recently spent two weekends scouting some land a fair distance away from my home, and walked around 15 miles or so scouting out both properties which were probably around 300 acres each or so. I added 7 spots to my GPS, and I figure 3 or 4 of them should be really hot, and the others so/so. That seems to be about the ratio I wind up with.

The tools I rely on for this method of hunting is google earth, myfreetopo which has topo, satellite and map (good for figuring out public boundaries etc), and bing maps. I also now have a very nice GPS thats actually easy to use unlike all the others I had prior. I also have access to plat map books at my local library as well as a public hunting atlas that goes everywhere with me. I also like to make my own maps and print them out based on screen shots from these maps. I print them and laminate them, though now with the GPS I may be cutting back on the hardcopy maps more. When I scout a property I like to have several maps in both satellite and topo varieties that I carry on a clip board and mark up based on my findings. This really helps me see the big picture and whats going on all over the property.

Being mobile

One of the keys to my success is being mobile. Other than during gun season I hunt a tree 3 times TOPS a season, and most only once or twice. During gun season I share the property with about 15 people and everyone has "their" spot , so my spot gets over hunted sometimes. I go in with a surprise attack each hunt, and I like to be gone before they ever knew I was there. My pride and joy is my Lone Wolf collection I have acquired. I have an alpha, an original LW stand (basically an assault) , a sit and climb converted to a flip top, and an assassin. I use the flip top and alpha the most. I have 8 climbing stick, 5 of which get used the most in hill country and the other three are for my smaller stand or when I have to walk a long ways. My assassin I use rarely, but for its job its very valuable. I use it when I am hunting in hedgerows, or just barely off the ground, or in spots where its a long walk for a short hunt. Every one of these is a tool for different jobs and are used accordingly. I will be buying an older 8 lb assault or a Chippewa valley ghost stand for my LONG walks on public where every ounce matters in the near future. I also employ a series of ground blinds including a double bull T2 , Darkhorse, and a ghost blind. I seldom hunt from the ground, but there are times it is needed so they are there for such occasions. I also intend to get a ghilli suit very soon. I do not have a single preset stand anywhere, every hunt is a pack in and out and I do it for several reasons:

1.) Element of surprise

2.) Avoiding over hunting a spot (easy to do when all you have to do is walk in and sit down)

3.) no worries about theft

I like hunting relaxed deer that don't know I am trying to kill them, so this is one of my top tips for anyone no matter where you hunt. You have to be mobile and bounce around to keep the pressure off and keep them guessing. Deer pattern us more than we will ever pattern them in my mind. This also allows me to take my stands anywhere I want as I can hunt anywhere in the country with the same stands, so they also save me a lot of money in that regard. I also think hunting new areas each hunt makes you more confident that today is the day, you see fresh surroundings, so you burn out slower.

Scent control (or lack there of)

I do not use scent control other than trying a few occasional experiments from time to time. I truly believe you cannot beat a deer's nose, they may tolerate you and not spook, but I don't think there is a single product out there than can help beat their nose. I hunt with the wind blowing to a spot that does not hurt me (unless it shifts which does happen time to time), and I try to use entry and exits that get me in and out as undetected as possible. Combine not over hunting a spot and resting spots weeks or months between hunts and it seems to work well. I do occasionally get busted, but no worse than when I thought scent control products would help me.

With that said, I do try a few things out, mostly just to debunk and prove things do not work. Last year I used a scent smoker and blew hickory smoke all over my clothes and stand. I did not see a negative reaction, which I did not figure I would as anything upwind of me cant smell me anyway, and anything downwind of me would smell me and most likely spook anyway.

I also have tried using carbon synergy and soaking my boots in it to absorb odor. Again, did not see a reaction either way. I wash my hunting clothes when they get bloody or muddy. I store them in a pile in my mancave and occasionally the dog sleeps on them. They are not kept in a tote except during the off season and thats so I don't lose them.

I use milkweed seeds to monitor the wind and set up in a spot where I should be safe to hunt. Many feel I am crazy because I almost go out of my way to stink. I feel I hunt smarter because I KNOW I smell like a human, and dog, and gas, and food, and oil and blood etc etc. I do not leave things to chance when I know how bad the clothes are.

Only hunting during high success time periods

I think this is a often overlooked part of hunting that is super important. I only hunt a spot when I feel its right for it. I do not hunt to hunt, I used to do that, and I burned a lot of spots out before the time was right. I do some early season hunts until around the beginning of October. By then I have usually hunted most of my good spots ( my non rut spots anyways). I know that I do not see near as much daylight activity from then until the rut, so I stay out. Some guys are able to stay with them during this time frame but I am not that good at that. If I had 50 spots and could burn some I would hunt them to be out there, but I don't have enough spots that I feel comfy sacrificing them on plan B hunts. I use this time to catch up on chores, shoot the bow, spend time with friends and family etc. Also, if the wind is wrong I simply stay out. A lot of hunts are ruined by being sloppy and impatient.

Leave nothing to chance- NO WEAK LINKS

Hunting is largely out of our control. We can not force a buck to do what he does not want to do that particular day. We can use smart Intel to form an educated guess what he wants to do, but it is not guaranteed by any means. So, since so much is out of our control already, why would anyone overlook things they can control? Things like hoping you added that critical piece of gear to the truck or pack VS getting up and confirming beats leaving it at home when you need it. Things like a poor broadhead choice, an ill tuned bow, not practicing enough, not checking the bolts on a stand, leaving too late and hurrying to get to a stand, leaving a stand too soon etc. These are all things we have control over. If I go to shoot a big buck and something happens to my bow, arrow, or broadhead, or other gear that is MY fault. I do not enjoy things that are preventable costing my a big buck. It is already hard enough to kill them, why leave anything to chance? Without starting an equipment debate, I use arrows that are heavy that I KNOW will get the job done, scary sharp fixed blade heads that CANNOT not open , and a bow that shoots good and has enough power to do the job. I do not want to sit in a tree and hope I have enough power , or hope my broadhead opens, or hope my seat does not sqeauk when I lift it up, I want to KNOW for sure. Simple, really.

I do not hunt like I see on TV or in the magazines (for the most part).

Wanna kill a big buck? Turn off the TV and stop comparing your hunt to what you see or read. Once I stopped sitting on the edge of a field I started seeing a lot more deer, and darned if I didn't kill a lot more too! I have one spot where I hunt a field edge, and have had many close calls and a few kills out of it, but I feel weird doing it. I read articles and topics on here by Dan and the other elite members, watch the Marsh and Hill Country bucks dvd's. I am a big fan of John Eberhart, Greg Miller books (he did not always use outfitters), Brad Herndon, etc. These are all great books and or DVD's, anything else that only shows scent control, outfitted hunts, and calling and rattling and scents will not do me much good and might cost me deer, so I dont watch em very often, and cetainly skip their advice.

BE AGGRESSIVE!!!

My style of hunting is borderline nuts in probably 90% of other hunters minds. I go in smack dab to where I want to kill a buck instead of waiting for him to come to me and hoping he gets there in time. If I think I am too close I go just a little bit further. Sometimes I go to far and blow it, sometimes it works out and I get em. I have killed more bucks by going in and taking whats mine rather than tiptoeing through the tulips hoping for things to go my way. I sneak in slow, and quiet and take my time going in. If you go slow and watch where you step, and purposely try to be quiet, you can get in way close to the beds, or spots you simply need to be.

Hunting the thick stuff

This kind of goes back to hunting the terrain, but you will seldom if ever see me in woods you can see more than 50 yards in. I want to be in the thick nasty jungles. I know that big bucks don't show themselves in open timber during daylight hours, so I go to spots I would feel safer if I was trying to avoid being seen and or killed. The thicker the better, especially where it butts up to other pieces of terrain traps.

These are the main things, nothing fancy, nothing tricky, nothing earth shattering. It seems to work well for me and my wall is filling up a little more every year. Hopefully this helps a few people. Here are some of my trophies that I have killed.

I do not have the most spectacular wall, but I am getting there. I have blown at least 5 different chances on bucks over 140" as well in recent years, those are the ones I really learned from.

Thoughts/Discussions?

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Brad's Hunting Bio

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm

I am impressed Brad, your a machine
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Nice write up and great bucks

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Nice Bio! You are a hunting beast!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Awesome bio Brad. That's the best one yet. Really enjoyed reading it. :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 pm

:clap: very impressive bucks and good read! Its nice to see the faces and bucks behind all of you elite members who I'm getting all of this awesome information from. Keep em coming...

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Beautiful write up Brad.
Nice bucks and keep at it.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Great write up Brad :clap:. Very thorough! You will be running out of wall space in a few more years :lol:

I've been by that store in your "buck in the truck" pic many a time.

Well done.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for sharing your hunting Bio Brad! This is quite helpful to me, and reaffirms that I am on the right path to growing into a better buck killer.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Nice write up...lots of beast traits = big bucks
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Nice write up. I enjoyed reading it.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:34 pm

Very nice write up. Enjoyed reading that and you have taken some great bucks!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Very informative write up, I'm glad you did a bio Brad. Very nice deer. :clap:

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:11 am

Great write-up.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:52 am

Read like a good overview of the beast in general! Nice write-up, thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”