Rut stand adjustments

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Rut stand adjustments

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:52 am

If you have a stand set up during the rut but observe deer movement out of shooting distance on different trails, would you typically move your stand for the next hunt (next morning, evening, weekend or whatever) closer to where the observed movement was or leave your stand where it is and figure the odds are just as good they will come by your stand the next day?

Maybe it is just the areas I hunt but I have had better success by moving....mainly because of how I observed the does moving.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Rut stand adjustments

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:03 am

I can remember many moves that got me into action, and few that I regret.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:05 am

Rut is hard to predict. If your in a good funnel I'd leave it. If the funnel is better were you saw the movement then move it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:53 am

Some places have sweet spots. You gotta move if you're not in a sweet spot and one exists. I have moved on many occasions. I don't hunt the same stand 2 days in a row very often. Even during the rut.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:04 am

I have moved 3x before noon during one sit... no sense sitting on the sidelines

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 am

Ive rarely moved a fixed stand but have changed trees in a location with my climber due to observed movement patterns
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 am

The rut is a time to be aggressive. The deer are moving all over the place and a hunter should be willing to adapt

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:23 am

Like was said if I find the trail they are on I now throw the cards on the table and get to the action ASAP....

I've sat on the sidelines watching amazing action enough times to learn that it doesn't usually pay....went back the next morning to where the action was and it was gone...not a deer to be seen....

Move on it in the middle of it and get on it...

The rut...at least here...seems like that's how it goes...if you aren't IN IT when it happens you'll see the sign...but that's about it...gotta be ON it when its happening....

I had a hunt one cool rainy fall day that was stand on the edge of your seat stuff...I couldn't even count how many bucks were running around...does herded up running everywhere...fawns lost in the sauce bawling looking for mama...I was 30yds too far and too dumb to run over during the lulls in the action...had I done it I'd probably have pics of a buck killed on that hunt...instead I have a heck of a memory...it lasted well into the dark and me climbing down didn't affect them at all...

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Stanley wrote:Some places have sweet spots. You gotta move if you're not in a sweet spot and one exists. I have moved on many occasions. I don't hunt the same stand 2 days in a row very often. Even during the rut.

Totally agree with the sweet spot concept...rut or no rut. It has taken time to find it but there does usually seem to be one. Observation has been the key for me on finding them most of the time.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:58 am

I usually trust my scouting and 9 setups out of 10 I'll stay all day where I planned. However, if you are obviously not in the right spot you need to move ASAP.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:12 am

I'm moving.
I would rather move than to sit back and wonder what would have happened if I did. Doesn't always pan out the way you hoped.......

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:20 am

I killed my biggest buck by moving mid-day after observing movement in the morning. During the rut you have to be where the action is especially if a hot doe comes thru and leaves hot scent. Nothing worse than watching all of the action way out of shooting range.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:35 am

In the rut being aggressive pays off more often than not. I wouldn't wait for the next day even, if I see what seems to be consistent movement through a certain spot out of range I am moving right NOW.

Like Dan mentioned the times I have not adjusted I have tended to regret later on.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:07 pm

This is something I am making a note to work on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”