How to located buck bedding from doe bedding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

How to located buck bedding from doe bedding?

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I have read in quite a few post guys mentioning finding doe bedding and knowing buck bedding would be near. What r the signs that lead u to that buck bedding. Are u looking at a wind advantage for the buck scenting the does? A visual advantage where he is watching the does? Or just knowing he will be in the most secure bedding in the area close to the does? For me as a novice bed hunter I just assume he will be on a clump of trees in a swamp so i check anything that looks like it could hold a deer. I Feel im kinda just throwing crap on a wall n seeing what sticks n cant see the complete picture yet. What is directing u to his bed ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: How to located buck bedding from doe bedding?

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:09 pm

I highly recommend you buy both of Dan's videos....once you watch them...over n over...you will literally likely be able to look at topos and aerials and marks suspected beds and put boots on the ground and walk right to them....not always...but the general rules generally work...

Mature bucks became mature bucks by living where people don't go....and by bedding in places that gives them survival advantages...sight...smell...hearing...

They typically bed alone whereas does typically bed in a group and usually in a sort of circle so they can all see different directions....they live and die together...rely on each other for safety...usually in a larger thicker area...but not always...

Whereas a mature buck is typically is a loner...I've found them bedded on point with nearly no cover..usually near a tree...sometimes on points and in woods they get a bush or something to their back...

Buck beds often times have rubs RIGHT in the bed or within a few feet...

I can go on for a while...others can chime in...it really comes down to putting boots on the ground and figuring it out for your area...

Some areas bucks will bed in different areas...like some places they will bed in a fencerow and just watch the fields...you'd look and say no way there's a deer there...and 99% of the time you won't see them there if you aren't looking hard and when you walk towards it you never even see them sneak out...

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: How to located buck bedding from doe bedding?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:15 pm

They usually bed behind the does closest to the food source. During the rut I have seen them bed downwind of does in a rut staging area. Late October and November is the only time I see them bed in a rut staging area downwind from does. Doe bedding will usually be the bigger thicker areas. The buck bedding will be smaller isolated patches.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”