CWD infection rates setting records in state of Wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

CWD infection rates setting records in state of Wisconsin

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:52 am

BY PATRICK DURKIN CONTRIBUTING WRITER
Posted on April 6, 2015

Madison — Despite sampling the second-lowest number of deer in Wisconsin’s 14-year CWD-testing program in 2014, the DNR documented a record 6.1-percent disease rate, as 329 of 5,414 tested whitetails carried the fatal brain disease.

This was the third straight year the rate of chronic wasting disease exceeded 5 percent of tested deer, and was the third straight year the number of sick deer exceeded 325.

The only year in which the DNR collected fewer samples than in 2014 was 2011, when it collected 5,313. The four lowest years for CWD sampling have all occurred since the current administration took office in January 2011.

The DNR soft-peddled the 2014 disease rates when announcing the results in early March. The headline on its news release read: “Disease sampling results provide current snapshot of CWD in Wisconsin.” And the lead paragraph simply stated that state wildlife officials tested more than 5,400 deer for CWD in 2014, and found 329 sick ones, primarily in the endemic area of southern Wisconsin.

For perspective on the meaning of 329 CWD cases in 2014, consider that the DNR collected nearly 14 times as many tests from 2001 through 2004 (75,295 samples) to find Wisconsin’s first 328 cases.

Many of those early samples came from outside the known disease area when assessing the entire state. But even when sampling became more targeted, the disease rate took until 2007 and 2008 to approach 1.5 percent, but then hit 3 percent by 2010 and 4.5 percent by 2011.

CWD is always fatal. Once deer contract it, their life expectancy is 18 months. They typically look healthy for about the first 16 months of the death sentence before showing its effects. Those signs include drooling, staggering, and stark ribs and spine outlined beneath a ratty hide. Some also lose their fear of humans, and even seek warmth by sitting against the sides of south-facing walls of homes and garages in winter.

In mentioning disease rates, the DNR news release noted a region covering northwestern Dane and northeastern Iowa counties has disease rates of 25 percent for adult bucks (2½ years and older), over 10 percent for adult females, and 8 percent and 7 percent, respectively for yearling males and females (1½ years old).

Those Dane/Iowa county prevalence rates aren’t current, however. CWD infection rates in that area hit those marks in 2012 and 2013. In 2014, they hit 27 percent and 12 percent.

The news is worse a few miles west of there in north-central Iowa County. The CWD rate there hit a record 40 percent and 22 percent, respectively, for adult bucks and does. Further, CWD rates for the area’s yearling bucks and does was 18 percent and 15 percent, respectively.

Although the DNR isn’t hiding this information, it leaves it up to citizens to find it on the agency’s website. To see how CWD is growing and spreading, go to http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/prevalence.html

Read More:

http://www.outdoornews.com/April-2015/C ... Wisconsin/

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: CWD infection rates setting records in state of Wisconsi

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:25 am

It'll be interesting to see where we are in 3 years. I'm guessing it won't be pretty.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:17 am

Have anyone seen these 'sick' deer wandering around, or find dead deer due to CWD? IMO, This CWD is nothing more than a scare tactic created by the government.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Have anyone seen these 'sick' deer wandering around, or find dead deer due to CWD? IMO, This CWD is nothing more than a scare tactic created by the government.

X2
Where did he get the data that's says every deer infected with cwd is fatal?
That's another theory that has never been proven!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Have anyone seen these 'sick' deer wandering around, or find dead deer due to CWD? IMO, This CWD is nothing more than a scare tactic created by the government.

Good point. Curious to hear from guys who live and hunt in the highest infection rate areas.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:35 am

They probably keeping the ball rolling for money purposes.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:36 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:They probably keeping the ball rolling for money purposes.

Yup, and insurance companies pressuring politicians to create a reason to issue more tags because insurance companies are tired of paying for deer/vehicle collisions. Maybe that DNR guy who posts here can chime in on this.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:12 pm

When I lived in Madison, I saw several while shining in western Dane/eastern Iowa counties.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:20 pm

I live in sauk county, and no, I have not seen a deer wandering around sick, but I personally know some guys in Iowa county who have seen it, and several at that. One farmer even has permission to kill deer that he see's sick. There is no deer left over there, where as there use to be deer everywhere you looked. They are dieing left and right, it is a problem, lots and lots of positive test coming back.

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:58 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:I live in sauk county, and no, I have not seen a deer wandering around sick, but I personally know some guys in Iowa county who have seen it, and several at that. One farmer even has permission to kill deer that he see's sick. There is no deer left over there, where as there use to be deer everywhere you looked. They are dieing left and right, it is a problem, lots and lots of positive test coming back.

I live in Rock county and I've never heard from anyone seeing a sick deer.
But the deer are dieing left and right because of over hunting.
Lucky to see a deer in the daylight anymore.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 pm

There is no doubt some groups of people latch onto something like CWD to promote various agendas - probably including the author of that article judging by how it is written. A smaller sample pool means greater variability...meaning it is easier to have an artificially higher (or lower) percentage of CWD positive cases.

One thing I really would like biologists to take a look at is CWD mortality versus expected mortality from everything else - given how long the incubation period for CWD is how often does it kill, or directly contribute to killing, a deer versus anything else? My hunch is most CWD positive animals get killed by hunters, hit by a car, or die of natural causes before they die or even see symptoms of CWD in a midwestern state like Wisconsin where the average age of deer is probably only 2 or 3. If so, the image of sick deer staggering all over the place would never become reality. Thats just a hunch though.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Is there testing in every county? I ask casue about 10 yrs ago I saw a sick looking doe in Price co. during the early Tzone we all miss so bad. The next day , I was coming in from hunting and as I walked up my steps I heard some banging under the cabin. Thinking it was coons , I look down under the cabin and there is the deer, under the cabin. In my amazement it ran 10 yds or so and looked back at me for a minute . It looked like the hide was falling off and it was drooling like crazy, it's eyes looked dull instead of shiny. I was only 40 ' from it at most, and showed little fear of me. Later I wished I'd have shot it for testing but at the time I didn't think of it. I dont think it's a huge deal though. 5% have CWD in 1/10 of the state.
wiscoz7

Unread postby wiscoz7 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:28 pm

I hunt in Iowa county. The buck I took last season came back CWD +. I had a buddy take a 162" brute very close to where I hunt....came back +, along with a co-workers gun season buck. At the sampling sites they have a map up that shows the previous years infection cases in 1x1 mile squares. Pretty startling numbers!! I haven't witnessed a sick deer, but then again if they are infected show no signs then after 16 months go down hill quickly, I'm sure coyotes could make quick work of them. I have seen dead deer in the woods that have been chowed up by yotes. I asked my doctor what he knew about prions, and the CWD issue. He told me there hasn't been enough research done on prions and we don't know enough about it yet to determine it's long term effects. Definetly a hot button issue, I definetly see both sides of the fence.

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:37 pm

How long have humans been eating venison? How many people died from it? That's your research.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:02 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I live in sauk county, and no, I have not seen a deer wandering around sick, but I personally know some guys in Iowa county who have seen it, and several at that. One farmer even has permission to kill deer that he see's sick. There is no deer left over there, where as there use to be deer everywhere you looked. They are dieing left and right, it is a problem, lots and lots of positive test coming back.

It'll be interesting to see how fast it spreads with the new regs. I definitely believe there will be more dispersion and transmission with the changes in the age structure of the herd.

One figure I've always wanted to see was transmission rates for public vs. private land. I've always theorized that transmission rates would be higher on private land due to differences in age structure, dispersion, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”