How many carry while hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you carry while hunting?

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes: 99
fishlips
500 Club

How many carry while hunting?

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:35 am

How many of you guys carry a sidearm while hunting? I do not own a handgun, but have considered it before. I have not had any run ins on don't really expect to. But I have enough hunts where I am coming out of the woods well after dark in parking locations that are far enough off the road that you sometimes wonder who might be around when you are packing up for the night.
Last edited by dan on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added poll

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How many carry while hunting?

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:46 am

I added a poll. Hope you don't mind...

I carry concealed while hunting. Open carry is kind of a mute cause cause if someone knows you have a weapon they have the jump on you...

I can remember one hunt in Iowa where I was attacked by a pack of dogs and wished I had a gun with me...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:00 am

I have a weapon with me when I'm hunting. I don't need 2. So I don't pack a pistol. I have on an occasion or two though. Like Dan said when feral dogs were in an area I hunted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:07 am

dan wrote:I added a poll. Hope you don't mind...

I carry concealed while hunting. Open carry is kind of a mute cause cause if someone knows you have a weapon they have the jump on you...

I can remember one hunt in Iowa where I was attacked by a pack of dogs and wished I had a gun with me...

No problem. Interested to see the results. I haven't had any bad encounters to date but have run into people that I wasn't too sure about

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:23 am

I do sometimes, depends on the area. You never know about those meth heads. They are some crazy people. Or if there is going to be a lot of strangers around.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:40 am

I don't own any guns. I sold them all. :whistle:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:38 am

I carry all the time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:15 am

I typically do not carry and 99% of the time it isn't an issue. The way things are going though I may have to change the way I think. Last spring I was driving down a woods road to scout and interrupted some poachers. They had shot a doe in the head and were pulling it out of the public land when they heard my truck coming. They threw the doe behind a sand hill and slowly started driving toward me. The three fine, upstanding citizens passed me in their truck and fortunately for me, kept driving. They were obviously armed, and there were three of them. Whenever you interrupt criminals in the middle of an act, anyone who stumbles upon them has their life in danger, and sometimes someone pays the ultimate price. I'm a dangerous man in the woods if needed, but three armed men against me alone could have been a really bad scene.

Another scenario happened last fall which isn't all that uncommon for me, but others may not want to be in that type of situation. I had a long haul out on public land, and when the hunt was over and I got to the parking spot there was another truck by mine. I saw the guy hiding in the woods smoking about 40 yards from his truck. He had a bait pile out a couple of hundred yards from his truck and was going to confront anyone parked nearby, he felt he owned the public land for miles in every direction. After sizing me up, he realized he may be in over his head and got friendly. But you never know, any time there is confrontation the outcome can never be certain.

That one percent of the time can get any of us into a tough spot, in my view.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 am

Never even considered it in Ohio on my private grounds. Arizona is a must, the ground I hunt is well known smuggling zone for cartel so I always carry. I am sure if faced with the scenario I'd be out gunned, fortunately I haven't run into it yet. I do know of plenty who have. Also having mountain lion roaming makes it a good idea as well.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:32 am

I never conceal carry cause don't have my 2nd amendment license. I do carry a lot up north though, not so much in case I encounter anther person , just in case I see a porcipine or a red squirrel. Up north , I encountered 2 people in 26 yrs of hunting and scouting. I have seen hunters in the distance though. Down here I would conceal carry. Too many people out there to scare. Thursday I walked up on a young kid about 18 walking his 2 dogs and a photographer. They seem the type that would freak.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:42 am

I don't carry but I should. Our black bear population is at an all time high. Getting between a mama bear and her cubs is not hard to do here.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:58 pm

I carry pretty much everywhere except hunting.
Let's go Brandon!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:19 pm

I've never felt the need to carry cause I've always hunted private in Michigan. This year I'm thinking about hunting some public so I would go concealed. You never know what public will bring out.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I carry mostly in western WI. A lot of crazy guys in the hills. I've had my share of run ins.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:38 pm

It's illegal in Illinois so I can't do it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”