How to hunt a spot when bucks could come from any direction?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

How to hunt a spot when bucks could come from any direction?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:07 pm

While scouting my leased land yesterday, in a new area, I found 2 big scrapes 3ft-4ft that were in the middle of thick cover. Its just in the thick about 10-15 yards from a 1/2 acre isolated opening. One of the late season bucks beds is 20 yards away, and I know bucks come through here from every angle. Is this a waste to try to hunt? Soemtimes these spots are loaded with does nearby, and getting in without blowing the woods out is tough. I have some main creek crossings 100 yards away that would be aggressive, and maybe very good, but I feel they are slightly out of prime travel areas for the big ones. What would you do? Last resort late season? One aggressive sit if nothing else produces during rut?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How to hunt a spot when bucks could come from any direct

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:54 pm

When I hunt an area like this I always try and give up the worst of the area. You have to give up some territory so let your wind blow into that area and keep the best free from your wind. You are merely playing the odds so hunt the best and give up the worst. I do this all the time on the small parcels I hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 pm

Bow or gun hunt would be determined by what the area looked like. It's something I would have to see for myself before coming up with a plan. Stanley brings up a great point, plus I typically hunt 25-30 feet up in areas your describing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 am

I'm not sure what your relationship is like with lease owner but I have friend that used plastic Snowfence to create a dead zone for wind to blow and acess. His is on a lease property but his land owner was okay with it, if that seems unlikely I wouldn't even ask. I'm not sure your layout and things, but something to consider, In general they might prefer to bed in one spot depending on wind and in another if wind is different. So it might appear they go through from all directions but a certain wind might be deciding factor. In hilly terrain I notice that more than flat but that's mainly because of leeward side and thermal tunnel.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 am

My best gun spot is like this. I have been trying to figure out why its so good. I think its a converging hub from what ive learned on here. I dont know if this makes sense but because it is a peak of a hill also, so I think all my scent is above all the deer activity. With rising morning thermals the I think incoming deer just cant smell me till its to late. From my stand I can shoot 8 deer trails that all connect in this small spot. I save it for high pressure days when I know people r moving deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”