Spot checking......?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Spot checking......?

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 am

Ok so when do you guys normally spot check? Im doing some marsh hunting i watched the dvd, i have some good spots picked out im just wondering how you guys and when u guys spot check an area to make sure its still "hot"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Spot checking......?

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:44 am

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:Ok so when do you guys normally spot check? Im doing some marsh hunting i watched the dvd, i have some good spots picked out im just wondering how you guys and when u guys spot check an area to make sure its still "hot"

The spot checking thing was not something I agree about from the DVD... I do my "spot checking" from father back... If I go into a staging area, I usually hunt it, or move on, but consider it burned. Rare I go in and don't hunt it, cause some bucks don't leave good sign at the bedroom.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:15 am

I agree with Dan the best spot check would be a hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:41 am

I have had success by spot checking areas on the edge of thickets but try not to walk right down to the area and look. Knowing the general direction the bucks go when they exit those areas and taking binoculars to search for fresh rubs at a safe distance is something that has worked for me in the past. I agree with dan though, if you are going to check a spot out then your best off to just hunt it in most cases

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 am

My spot checking is done either before season, or in season with stand on my back. The rut for me is different, but for bed hunting I don't want any intrusion until the day I'm hunting it.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks guys that cleared things up much appreciated

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:26 am

My spot checking is more "general area" checking, I can't say I get withing 500 yards of a buck bed during this time. I am just looking for fresh buck sign or scouting in general. Sometimes it's good to disguse youself as a small game hunter and even take a few grouse out when they give you the chance.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:43 am

Good stuff again of course.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

I always wondered about the whole spot checking part of the video...

I can u derstand if you go in and someone is logging the trees the buck bedded under...or some major disturbance...

But if I'm going in its to hunt...I did my homework...the sign I found is why I am there...like Dan said...that buck might be in there and not left much sign...

Its not crazy to find a big buck all by itself...1 deer isn't going to leave a ton of sign...

I've found trails in the cattails that look like nothing more then muskrat or beaver runs...look close and there are big buck tracks in them...

I haven't gotten as far as to know what bedding areas are BIG buck bedding areas vs a buck bedding area...there may be times a big buck beds in a certain spot year after year and you can spot check...or better yet shine or run cameras a ways away on a field edge food source etc to "spot check" to see if there is a big buck in the area...knowing if there is that is the spot he will bed...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:56 am

I do spot checking depending on the area I'm hunting. Dan mentioned that if he does it he makes sure that it is farther back and not near staging / bedding where you may blow the buck out or make him move very little during the daytime.

In conifer swamps (cedar / pine / spruce etc.) that are flooded I am seldom able to use an observation stand or other method to see if a big buck is in the area... it is too thick with almost no visibility. I typically check a funnel close to bedding for an oversized track or other sign of the buck I'm after. This is far enough away from staging that it normally won't push my buck out of the area if I don't hunt it. But to be honest, I don't go looking for him until I expect him to be there- based on my knowledge of the area through scouting or prior hunting. I've spot checked and killed a number of different bucks the very same day and I knew where that buck was likely bedded when in the area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”