if you have one week to chose?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

if you have one week to chose?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 am

Planning trips across country is where I stand as a hunter and likely where I'll be until I retire. With my little ones, high airfare, and distance to home I can only get in one week a year to Ohio. I know this has been discussed but wanted fresh views, if you had a single week to hunt what week do you chose and why? On the border in Arizona the volume of hunters along with smuggling and etc.... I do not feel real comfortable hunting here. I'm currently looking at tickets and wanted advice.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: if you have one week to chose?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:10 am

If it was me... this year Saturday Nov 7th- Sunday Nov 15th
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:12 am

Oct-28-nov-5...seems to be good movement with the rut and weather changes. Gets big boys on there feet in daylight. Before lockdown stage normally.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:43 am

Bucky wrote:If it was me... this year Saturday Nov 7th- Sunday Nov 15th

Bucky-what makes you pick those dates for this year specifically? I have a feeling it falls between full moons the way you think peak movement should be. I havent checked full moon dates yet for 2015.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:44 am

The last dozen years I have really noticed the 3rd week of November has been successful for me on my bigger bucks; so I've isolated the time period of Nov. 17th - Nov. 26th to be better odds for me and plan my week accordingly when possible...

Of course opening deer camp with the buddies is hard to pass up too - shear fun and decent odds!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:32 am

I'd be in the woods November 5th on.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 am

Right now I'm looking at November 5-11, this is when I was home in 2014. Killed on the 9th but activity was scarce, I blame this on myself, hadn't discovered this site yet and was doing things wrong. I am just weighing dates, ive never hunted last week of October through November 5th but know some people who swear by it. Also never hunted after the 11th on a trip.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:38 am

Early is hit or miss depending on weather - I like late Oct but that requires knowledge of resident deer. When traveling, I wan't the deer moving and let the terrain bring them to me

I picked 7-15 as it is a Sat-Sunday this year - I don't pay much attention to the moon

My experience with more mature deer is that later 6,7,8,9+ is better than early Nov for daylight movement
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:42 am

When hunting new areas I like to have the first week of November to learn deer patterns and the 2nd week to make a kill when the big bucks are on their feet. If I had a week it'd be the second week of November. However, now that I can hunt all of November by hunting Delaware/Ohio, and having trail cameras out after the Delaware gun season which is usually the 3rd week in November, I noticed a nice movement of mature buck daytime activity on my trail cameras on public land around thanksgiving through the first week of December that I might elect to hunt this year. Even after all the gun pressure these bucks were still on their feet during daylight hours in and around doe bedding. I know Ohio's gun season opens early December, but I'd have to think you'd have a lot less pressure the last week of November(aside from gun scouters) than you would the first two weeks. Locating the does that are coming in to estrous late would be the challenge, but if there is a good doe herd where you are hunting then you should be ok.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:47 am

dkoy85 wrote:When hunting new areas I like to have the first week of November to learn deer patterns and the 2nd week to make a kill when the big bucks are on their feet. If I had a week it'd be the second week of November. However, now that I can hunt all of November by hunting Delaware/Ohio, and having trail cameras out after the Delaware gun season which is usually the 3rd week in November, I noticed a nice movement of mature buck daytime activity on my trail cameras on public land around thanksgiving through the first week of December that I might elect to hunt this year. Even after all the gun pressure these bucks were still on their feet during daylight hours in and around doe bedding. I know Ohio's gun season opens early December, but I'd have to think you'd have a lot less pressure the last week of November(aside from gun scouters) than you would the first two weeks. Locating the does that are coming in to estrous late would be the challenge, but if there is a good doe herd where you are hunting then you should be ok.

Agree, I see more mature buck movement the 3rd week of Nov vs 1st week here in WI.... but WI gun season screws up the later Nov bowhunting

I really don't think you can go wrong with the 6th/7th-15th
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:17 am

Bucky wrote:
dkoy85 wrote:When hunting new areas I like to have the first week of November to learn deer patterns and the 2nd week to make a kill when the big bucks are on their feet. If I had a week it'd be the second week of November. However, now that I can hunt all of November by hunting Delaware/Ohio, and having trail cameras out after the Delaware gun season which is usually the 3rd week in November, I noticed a nice movement of mature buck daytime activity on my trail cameras on public land around thanksgiving through the first week of December that I might elect to hunt this year. Even after all the gun pressure these bucks were still on their feet during daylight hours in and around doe bedding. I know Ohio's gun season opens early December, but I'd have to think you'd have a lot less pressure the last week of November(aside from gun scouters) than you would the first two weeks. Locating the does that are coming in to estrous late would be the challenge, but if there is a good doe herd where you are hunting then you should be ok.

Agree, I see more mature buck movement the 3rd week of Nov vs 1st week here in WI.... but WI gun season screws up the later Nov bowhunting

I really don't think you can go wrong with the 6th/7th-15th

What Bucky said. If the rut is a little late coming in you'll still hit most of it, or if it starts a little sooner you'll still get those cruisers busting brush in doe bedding.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:35 pm

I would have to say I'm with bucky on his dates, those are the days I tend to see the most mature bucks up and moving.

Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:16 pm

Anytime between 7th and 17th. Better chance for corn to be cut and you'll usually get at least a couple cold days in there

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:17 pm

I hunt southern Michigan right on the Ohio border. Our single best day for mature buck sightings have been Nov 11 veterans day. My brother shot a slob one year on the 11th. I have shot a few nice bucks on the 12th. For one week I would pick the 7-14. I take the last week of October and the first 2 weeks of November off every year. Late October and early November can be really good also if a cold front comes thru.

muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:23 pm

In SE MN it would be Oct 28th thru November 3rd second choice would be Nov 15th thru the 21st. Seems that first 2 weeks you can get a lot of lock down going on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”