Bowhunter4life

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Bowhunter4life

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 pm

This may be picture heavy but kinda shows a little more about me and how I progressed as a hunter. I grew up in the hills of southeast MO my whole life. My family doesn't really own any land so I have always hunted public land for the most part. As a young kid my father would take me hunting with him each year in rifle season and I can recall those cold sits on stand like it was yesterday. There was always something about a deer that just fascinated me though. We would go out and scout hard a week or so prior to rifle season each year looking for sign. My dad always searched for fresh big rubs and we would set up according to the sign we found then come back opening day and hunt it. He had success in killing several good bucks with his rifle but it never cam easy for me, at least killing a buck didnt. As a youngster I had a problem with letting a doe walk even though I wanted so badly to kill a buck. I killed numerous does over my first couple seasons but no antlers. As I got a little older I had decided to hold off on the does and set my sights on killing a buck. For 6 straight season everytime I had an encounter with a buck something would go wrong! Bad hit, move to soon, winded me you name it I had it happen. It was really got under my skin and I just could not figure it out. My 6th season i was on stand during a cold November morning and I had the biggest buck I had ever laid eyes on in the woods come up on me. My nerves got to me so bad I rushed a shot and hit him back. Me and my dad tracked that buck for well over a mile only to never recover him. That one hit me hard. During that off season i decided to buy a bow and learn to bow hunt even though no one else in my family ever had. I practiced all summer long and come August I started hitting the woods looking for stand sites and trying to locate bucks. There is very few fields around so I couldn't really glass them so I would walk the woods very slowly just trying to catch a glimpse of a few bucks in different areas. I managed to find a small 8 point entering a grass field in the evenings and I watched him on different days late in the evening. September 15th came around and I set up back in the woods on him and tried to catch him as he headed toward the field. He showed and my arrow hit true. I'll never forget that feeling of walking up on that buck. It was the best feeling in the world. That hunt just fueled my fire even more and I would continue to scout harder and harder each year learning more and more along the way. My success really grew the more time I spent in the woods and I knew each year that was what it would take for me to have success. Several season of bow hunting and rifle hunting taught me a lot and I started focusing my time on bedding areas. I would search for the thickest nastiest stuff around then look for rubs coming out of it and set up. This is where my success really grew each and every year. I started taking multiple bucks each season. I tried to raise my standards each and every year going for just a little bigger than the previous year but found that very hard to do. I basically lived in the woods during my later teens and all through my 20's. Deer hunting was my true passion and I think that my early years of struggles is truly what made me the hunter I am today. I still have a ton to learn but that's the great thing about this sport is that you will never truly conquer it, we are always learning as hunters. Here are a few of my bucks from my early years and a few from the last few years. Photos are not the best and I apologize.
Image Me and dad on a double

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Bowhunter4life

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Posted this because of the call outs in hopes of others posting their stories cause there are several guys on that list I would really like to hear from!

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:04 pm

Glad they called you out, awesome bucks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks for the write up. I enjoyed ur post from last season. Nice bucks !!!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Outstanding! :clap:

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:10 pm

Very nice bucks! Thanks for the post

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:19 pm

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 pm

Great job on the write up and really awesome bucks! :clap:

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 pm

Good stuff my friend!! You've been killing some awesome deer over there on your side of the state! I'm very impressed man. Great job.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:25 pm

:clap: this is exactly what I hoped would happen. Awesome thread bowhunter4life.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:34 pm

Awesome job man
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:42 pm

:clap: glad to have people like you on here to learn from

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Very nice! That's a nice collection of bucks Thanks for posting..

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:46 am

Thanks for sharing! Quite a collection you have there.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 am

Very impressive, thanks for posting.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”