Bowhunter4life

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Re: Bowhunter4life

Unread postby kurt » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:49 pm

What I like about this is your determination...it would have been easy to call it quits after so many big buck less years. Then sweet success and watch it snowball. It's kinda a good lesson if your not slamming big bucks just keep at it and look what can happen .

At first I didn't recognize your name then the pictures...I was like ooo yeah " buck in a truck guy". This why I like call outs now I can put a background to you.

welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Good write up and awesome bucks man!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Great thread. Thanks for posting!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:54 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:WOW. Hard work and dedication. And getting in their bedroom. Any little secrets to go with these ideas?

I was going to say that too Bowhunter, maybe some of the details into the tactics you have had success with would be a cool adder. I know you touched on it but the back of your truck has more to tell!!
Make It Happen
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Wow! What is really impressive to me is your persistence during those early years. Most people would have just given up and continued to shoot does. That really shows some determination, character, and love for the sport.

Reading this is helpful for guys like me. Great job, and thanks for sharing.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:WOW. Hard work and dedication. And getting in their bedroom. Any little secrets to go with these ideas?

I was going to say that too Bowhunter, maybe some of the details into the tactics you have had success with would be a cool adder. I know you touched on it but the back of your truck has more to tell!!

No real secrets so to say, just a lot of hard work and time in the woods to be honest. I have used so many different things to kill different bucks. I always paid attention to the thick nasty stuff and have been hunting that way now for several years. I never really keyed on specific beds till I found the site but I always look for bedding areas. Over time I have accumulated a lot of these spots. I can go in and check these spots now where the bucks tend to exit out of them and if I see fresh rubs exiting it I know there is a buck using that area and I will set up on it. I used tracks to kill one buck that was using a crop field at night on the opposite site of a gravel road from the public land. There was a thicket up on top of the ridge and he was seen by a buddy of mine one evening crossing the road going to the crops. A few others had mentioned the big 9 point and then one evening my brother told me he had seen it one evening right at dark cross the road. It was early October and we had a big rain early in the night. I decided the next morning to drive down that road and look for tracks coming from the crops going to the public. Sure enough there were a big set of tracks crossing the road and they were fresh. I set up on him that evening and killed him. Used the same tactic this past season by catching a big set of tracks entering a thicket near the parking lot on public land. Was able to set up and kill this animal on my 3rd attempt. I think just paying attention to fine detail is one thing I have learned spending so much time on the public. Look for things other than just big rubs and scrapes. Use whatever you can to your advantage and definitely have to think outside the box. I have used pipe lines set ups in the mornings in November to watch two different thickets to see if a buck would cross going to bed. Have had luck twice on seeing bucks cross then I would set up on them, one I connected on and the other my arrow was deflected by a limb. On the public a lot of times it's just a matter of going where others won't go and noticing what others don't notice.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm

One thing I think Ive noticed that I believe most guys around here don't is where the bucks are at and at what time of the year they are there. It's something I've really paid more and more attention to each year. I try to take note of any good bucks I see moving in daylight and the time of year I saw them in that area, whether it is seen by eye or trail camera photo. The bucks almost always seem to be in the same areas at the same time of the year here in the hills. I'm guessing that this is because in the hills most food sources stay the same from year to year, unlike farmland where crops are being rotated each year. I have certain areas I focus on early season/mid season/late season all based on previous years of sightings. Any other hill country guys or anyone else in any different type of terrain notice this pattern?

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Congrats on your recent early season trophy. Your definitely one of the best deer hunters on this site.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:28 am

john1984 wrote:Congrats on your recent early season trophy. Your definitely one of the best deer hunters on this site.

Thank you John. I don't know that I would say I'm one of the best on here. There is a lot of knowledgeable deer hunters on here that I myself have learnt a lot from. Just great to be a part of a site like this where so much knowledge is shared without a price tag attached to it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:23 am

*Bump
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:34 am

Many adjectives come to mind...!
My favorite for you is humble...

Much respect for your accomplishments & desire! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 am

Had to re-read your thread again bh4l. I love your passion for deer hunting and hearing about the struggles in the early years. Very relatable for me. It is no coincidence that you're enjoying annual success now. You are definitely one of the best on the forum!! You're humble attitude is refreshing as well.

Here's to continued success!! Good luck this fall.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 am

Hey I saw a folding chair in the bed of your truck in one of those pics. Did you copy Dan's treestand idea?

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:03 pm

My personal favorite is the one in the back of the white truck, hes got a red hoodie on. WHAT A BUCK!
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Nice Job - Those are some impressive bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”