3rd shift beast hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: 3rd shift beast hunters

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 pm

I work thirds. I don't really deer hunt in the mornings until the rut. After work I like to hunt waterfowl and scout for deer. Mornings outside of the rut have not been productive for me, so I just don't do it. I like to hunt ducks geese and turkeys. I always have my mind on deer and I've found some great deer sign while bird hunting after work.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:29 pm

To me...working 3rd shift would mean I'd hunt primarily evenings....

Have you tried sleeping until 2-3-4pm...waking up, hunting, then going to work??

Guess it depends on your schedule and other duties in life etc..

For me I think it'll be easier to get off work and sleep my 8 or so hours and wake up and hunt the evening..get done and be at work at 10 or 11...

For me 3rd shift will be 10p-6a or 11p-7a.

Almost hoping for a stretch during the early season come fall so I can sleep after work...wake up and hunt a bed in the evening and goto work after my hunt...not sure how it'll work out...depending how many buck beds in the marsh I can locate before green up I may change my vacation to the early season if possible...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:48 pm

mauser06 wrote:To me...working 3rd shift would mean I'd hunt primarily evenings....

Have you tried sleeping until 2-3-4pm...waking up, hunting, then going to work??

Guess it depends on your schedule and other duties in life etc..

For me I think it'll be easier to get off work and sleep my 8 or so hours and wake up and hunt the evening..get done and be at work at 10 or 11...

For me 3rd shift will be 10p-6a or 11p-7a.

Almost hoping for a stretch during the early season come fall so I can sleep after work...wake up and hunt a bed in the evening and goto work after my hunt...not sure how it'll work out...depending how many buck beds in the marsh I can locate before green up I may change my vacation to the early season if possible...

Our shop uses split shift, which means we only run two shifts and each shift works 12 hours. I go into work at 4pm and get out at 4:30am, its gotta be one of the worst deer hunting schedules, go figure! HAHA! I can see what you mean about hunting before work though, that would work out pretty slick. I'm just gonna spend early season experimenting with the bucks while trying to tag some does for meat. I think there's something to this moon phase theory, if not I've always my vaca. Time saved up for the Rut. Not hunting early season is just not an option for me. My goal every year is to tag out before gun season so I can skip the "orange madness" and focus on trapping season

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 am

I did this a couple seasons ago. I would go to my neck of the woods and sleep set my alarm for 3pm then get up and ready and head to the woods. Before the days shortened it made it tough because getting back to work was harder. But once later in the season, it was a lot easier and allowed me the chance to drive to work and catch a nap before work. Hard getting used to that kind of schedule.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:03 am

Got ya...in that case it really does only leave mornings...

The other thing to think about when morning hunting is not walking where they are going to be walking...and not letting your wind get to them...

I have struggles in the morning because of that...

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 am

I work 12 hr swings 6-6, and used to hunt after night shift, but maybe my drive is dwindling, cause I feel sleep, for hunting days off nowadays is more bang for my buck. Late season I can get away an afternoon sit before midnight shift

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
ADKMtnTrapper

Unread postby ADKMtnTrapper » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:37 am

When it comes to the issue of filling the freezer vs killing a mature buck.... do you have the availability to find a target mature buck and have a seperate location on another property to fill your freezer? That way early season you can target those does for your freezer and once you get your satisfactory fill of your freezer you can hold onto that last buck tag and go after your mature buck. I'm sure it's easier said then done but its an option.

I am currently contemplating this myself, in NY we currently get two bow/muzzleloader tags(1 doe and 1 either sex) then a 1 or two doe tags and a buck tag for rifle season. My plan is to have a good location picked out for hunting does for the freezer and try and put 1 or 2 in the freezer and then spend the rest of my season going after a specific buck i have in mind. Grant it this is my first "Beast Style" season coming up but this will be my game plan this year.
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: "You're the same dumb pilgrim who i've been smellin' for twenty days, and hearin' for three!"

AeroEvolution Saddle w/Treebolts climbing system
Matthews Z7 with G5 OPTIX XR BOW SIGHT EastonAxis Nano w/Schwacker Broadheads
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:55 am

mauser06 wrote:Got ya...in that case it really does only leave mornings...

The other thing to think about when morning hunting is not walking where they are going to be walking...and not letting your wind get to them...

I have struggles in the morning because of that...

I struggle with that as well, not to mention not knowing where deer are around you because of it being pitch black. Makes walking and setting up a lot more difficult as well, trying to see and stay quiet. I like the tip of hunting mornings with stronger breezes to cover up sound. Gotta remember that one

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:02 am

ADKMtnTrapper wrote:When it comes to the issue of filling the freezer vs killing a mature buck.... do you have the availability to find a target mature buck and have a seperate location on another property to fill your freezer? That way early season you can target those does for your freezer and once you get your satisfactory fill of your freezer you can hold onto that last buck tag and go after your mature buck. I'm sure it's easier said then done but its an option.

I am currently contemplating this myself, in NY we currently get two bow/muzzleloader tags(1 doe and 1 either sex) then a 1 or two doe tags and a buck tag for rifle season. My plan is to have a good location picked out for hunting does for the freezer and try and put 1 or 2 in the freezer and then spend the rest of my season going after a specific buck i have in mind. Grant it this is my first "Beast Style" season coming up but this will be my game plan this year.

Yes, I have trapping access to some farms in the area that also allow me to bowhunt and like to keep the deer herd thinned down due to crop damage. This is where I usually chase after the does then go after the bucks in state land

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”