I saw some scrapes....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

I saw some scrapes....

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:12 am

It's the 14th and I saw a few field edge scrapes that were recently made. So what'd you guys think? Is pre-rut starting to get on it's way? The tracks in the scrapes were nothing too impressive so it looks like younger bucks were making them. I was looking at them from an ATV, so I could've missed something. I was thinking....if you beleive in the moon phase theory of the rut from the D&DH guys- Why do the scrapes always start showing up in Oct, basically the same time every year from what I can tell. This year's rut is suppose to be late, so wouldn't pre-rut start later? MAybe the bucks are always on the same schedule but the does dictate when the rut offically begins? Does that make sense? Curious to see what others think.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: I saw some scrapes....

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Cool that you saw some scrapes Matt, little guys or not. Things are about to get interesting out there.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:52 pm

I've been finding scrapes too the last couple weeks. A new one that wasn't there last night with a brand spanking new licking branch to go with it. Scrapes are communication tools. They leave scent from their interdigital glands in them and the licking branch, scent from their glands near the eyes and forehead. Does even work both here as well. Some scrapes are used year long. It tells each other who is around and when. We just see it more this time of year.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 pm

I have been finding scrapes since the third week in September.

Not sure if this is true or not but I heard once that very early scrapes are made by mature bucks. Have any of you heard this or found this to be the case?
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:18 am

Well dewey I put a trail camera over a scrape I found last weekend in hopes of a mature buck and ended up getting 4 different bucks 3 were yearlings and one was a 2.5 year old. Im not saying that theory is wrong im just stating from my own experience.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:25 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Well dewey I put a trail camera over a scrape I found last weekend in hopes of a mature buck and ended up getting 4 different bucks 3 were yearlings and one was a 2.5 year old. Im not saying that theory is wrong im just stating from my own experience.

Interesting......I never was sure if I believed early scrapes were made by dominant bucks and your camera pics seem to prove that.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:31 am

All bucks make and use scrapes all year long. But the closer it gets to rut the more they make and use...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:31 am

see, now I always heard just the opposite.... I heard the young immature bucks are out doing their thing. That they are kind of like the little junior high kids going around strutting their stuff, looking for the ladies...... And then the big senior high boys come around later knowing they are the boss and scoops up all the ladies... I don't know, it was something like that... :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”