Winter yarding in relations with fall bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Winter yarding in relations with fall bedding

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:33 am

I recently came across a cedar patch full of hot sign. But know for a fact it was due from winter yarding. Does anyone have connections to whether these beds/areas are primary areas during the fall or are they just good winter cover and will be dead go hunting season?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Winter yarding in relations with fall bedding

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:19 am

Deer yard up in the winter where the food sources are. Bucks will concentrate up in these areas also. One farm I hunt had 300 deer in it just 3 weeks ago. The land owner had beans last year. The surrounding farms had zero deer in them 3 weeks ago. As soon as the weather warmed up the yard dispersed and the deer are back to other areas. I never put too much stock in yarded up deer. It won't be like that for long when the weather breaks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:48 am

I agree with Stan, don't use winter/early spring sign to dictate where to hunt earlier in the fall. I only file the location away for reference for next year's late season.

I have seen bucks move 1-2 miles from where they usually spend their falls to be closer to a late season food source...and telemetry studies show deer moving even farther than that.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 am

I should have stating hot and old sign, which made me curious. I hardly ever consider late winter sign. just seeing if anyone has experience a connection...

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:25 pm

wickedbruiser wrote:I should have stating hot and old sign, which made me curious. I hardly ever consider late winter sign. just seeing if anyone has experience a connection...

Yes, I see it all the time... but the areas I speak of may be very different from what you are referring to.

There are a lot of dynamics that go into whether or not there is a connection- size of the cedar patch / what kind of cedar are you referring to / is it the only dense cover in your hunting area / is it farm country, big woods, a snowbelt region, etc.

If the wintering area you mention has no reason for the bucks to be there in the fall, as the others have stated, they likely won't be around.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”