Hill hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Hill hunters

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:41 pm

How many hill hunters do we have on here. That being said ones that only or mainly just hunt beds in the hill. What do typically see when finding beds.
What else goes into play with deer in your hills( bed to food) going below or above, do they just get up and go straight up the hill or around. I think there is a lot of differences in the hills through out many states. From where they bed and what they do to get to and from there. Please share your findings.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Hill hunters

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:19 pm

I find many "text book" buck beds...top 1/3rd elevation on a point...sometimes points that don't show on a map...

Usually something to their back...blow down..pine tree(s). Bush...whatever...

Usually rubs right in or very close but not always...

Sometimes a rub line usually heading to it showing how they usually come into it...

Haven't started hunting them...but I've found they are typically there when I look....

I have rifle hunted by still hunting point to point and had success (in terms of seeing them)

The bucks in the hills seem to use their eyes here....and I've found them bedding places JUST based on vision...not the thermal tunnel...

Let's face it...sometimes the top 1/3rd is a field...houses...roads etc...they might not hit the thermal tunnel but they will bed when they still have their advantages...

On particular valley I hunt the top 1/3rd is wide open field...its a STEEP hillside....but I find them still bedding on points and benches where they can see and smell and still escape easily...

One buck bedding on a point was fairly low...I can't recall the wind...dad was on stand for a few hours literally 100 yards above him..when I came in the creek bottom I spotted him..he got up and snuck up the hill right to dad..I didn't go check his bed..I should have..he was on kind of side pooint..

Another I killed was bedding on a point on a bench...had a little cover to his back...I think multiflora rose bush..he had the wind to his back...but thermals must not work...and he couldn't see around the point...it was raining...I snuck around the point at the ready...I had a hunch he would be there...he was...a leap and a half and I dropped him..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Hill hunters

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

I hunt the hills of southeast MO. My findings are they do bed on the points. Is very hard to find the specific beds but after the workshop this weekend dan explained how they shift around on them a lot so they don't bed in that one specific spot. I try to look at what is around the point and what the sign shows, it also depends on time of the year. During the rut most of the time I try to set up so I can intercept them going to check on the does. Early season I look for the food source to figure out direction of travel. If the buck is dropping off the point I have a hard time getting them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”