mature buck beds...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

mature buck beds...

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 am

I've always thought of mature bucks to be more of a solitary animal...

But one of Dan's posts of videos speaks of like 4 coming passed in the early season...as a bachelor group...

I always figured maybe early season bachelors may feed and mill in the same area but still thought they'd live and bed separately...

Thoughts??

Will multiple mature bucks bed in an area? Once the season turns to fall does that change?

Just thinking out loud kinda...

When scouting the marsh the other day I found a few buck beds...all in a 50-100yd or so area...

I can't be sure if they are the same buck...different bucks or what...

Wind isn't a big factor in this spot I don't believe...I'm sure it IS..but the beds were in the same area and I can't see a reason they would be used for a different wind at all...

So I was thinking maybe more than 1 buck is living out there...?

I don't know...I'm excited for this spring/fall/summer...

Once antlers start growing I wanna slip in and put my cameras out on the fringes of the core area...then late August go in and get them...should help me gain some knowledge on how they use the area..who uses the area...what times...what winds etc...

I find the marsh stuff interesting... Its literally already changing me as a deer hunter...the sign I'm finding is incredible...it has me excited as ever...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: mature buck beds...

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:48 pm

In the summer through about September testosterone level are at their lowest so bucks get along the best. After that they get more solitary. I will say I think once a buck hits 5 years old or so they are more inclined to be solitary the whole year...occasionally you see an old buck with other bucks but more often by themselves. 2, 3 and even 4 year olds commonly group up in the summer. The cluster of beds you found might be a primary bed or two and a bunch of satellite beds used by smaller bucks if the primary bedding is taken by older bucks. If they are more than a few yards apart I think of beds as distinctly different, not really together.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: mature buck beds...

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:08 am

Thanx!

After looking at the aerial they are a little farther apart than I realized...I'd still say they are within 100yds of each other. The marsh is disorienting... Glad I plotted points on my map...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”