Over the top

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Over the top

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 pm

It seems that the majority of buck beds I find in flat land have limbs, vines, briars, etc hanging over the top of them. I'm wondering if this is a southern thing, do you normally find beds with overhanging cover?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Over the top

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 am

Not the majority, but I do find a lot like that.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:34 am

cbigbear wrote:It seems that the majority of buck beds I find in flat land have limbs, vines, briars, etc hanging over the top of them. I'm wondering if this is a southern thing, do you normally find beds with overhanging cover?

I find a lot of beds like this in farm country and in some swamp/river bottom areas. Autumn olives, red brush, dead fall trees, cedar edges and just smaller 8-12ft trees that bush out at the top to form a "canopy" are all common spots that I find beds. In fact I scouted a new piece of ground yesterday that has a small creek running through it surrounded by a substantial amount of marsh grass. Every small tree or point out into the grass had beds and most had overhanging cover.

I still see it in other types of terrain but not as often.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 am

The ones o been finding are pretty thick over head. And they show up good on bing maps.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:38 am

A buck can see much better if he is in the shade. Come to think of it so can I.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:08 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
cbigbear wrote:It seems that the majority of buck beds I find in flat land have limbs, vines, briars, etc hanging over the top of them. I'm wondering if this is a southern thing, do you normally find beds with overhanging cover?

I find a lot of beds like this in farm country and in some swamp/river bottom areas. Autumn olives, red brush, dead fall trees, cedar edges and just smaller 8-12ft trees that bush out at the top to form a "canopy" are all common spots that I find beds. In fact I scouted a new piece of ground yesterday that has a small creek running through it surrounded by a substantial amount of marsh grass. Every small tree or point out into the grass had beds and most had overhanging cover.

I still see it in other types of terrain but not as often.

Same here with the farm country. See a lot but in the hills on points not so much from my experience.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”