New Member w/ a New Spot and Hoping for Some Help :)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AvidHunter88

New Member w/ a New Spot and Hoping for Some Help :)

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi all! New to the forum and ready to give the beast style a try! I’ve watched the Hunting Marsh Bucks DVD a couple times and read a bunch of great topics on here before going out last weekend to scout with a new perspective. Hoping to get some help with what I found. The yellow star in the picture is where I think a buck is bedding behind a fallen tree. Let me know if you think the pictures look like a potential buck bed or if you disagree because I’m not 100% sure. There are easy escapes into the cattails that surround the bed. I think he’s staging mostly in the clump of trees just west of the bed. From there several trails lead out to either the southwest, west, or north before turning west again. The marshland is surrounded by ag with easiest access to the fields either to the west or south. The dotted blue line to the north on the map represents the end of public land as does the road running north/south. I could see a couple stands in private but they looked like mostly gun stands. The trees I picked out for potential stands are A, B, C, D, and E on the map (sorry if they're hard to see). The closest one “A” is about 200 ft from the bed and felt like I might be pushing it based on how far I could see from the bed. “D” was about 385 ft from the bed. Typical winds where I hunt area usually out of the South, Southwest, or West but I’ve honestly had winds from all directions before. Sorry this is all rather wordy but my questions are when would hunt this sight and how. What would make that deer travel past the A – D stand sites as opposed to E? And is 200 ft too close to set up? I’m worried if I get to far back I won’t see him during the day but I don’t want to bump him either. Thanks guys!

muskieman

Re: New Member w/ a New Spot and Hoping for Some Help :)

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:44 am

Yes, it looks like a bed to me. However there are guys here that would know way better then me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:53 am

By the location and cover you are showing you are off to the right start. Looks good to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:06 am

That is a deer bed... 200 "feet" is pushing it a little, but it appears to be a bit farther than what your estimating? I set up 75 yards away pretty often sometimes closer, sometimes farther, but I am pretty good at this.. You need to determine a couple things... #1 WHICH WAY DOES HE HEAD WHEN HE LEAVES HIS BED. Did you look at rubs, trails, other sign exiting the bed? If its multiple ways, follow it a distance. Does it enter a food source? does it cross mud? You can spot check the food source or crossing a distance away from the bed and when sign shows up, hunt there... A lot of the beds like the one you have shown get sat at certain times of the year. Hitting it right is the key. To early and you bugger it. To late and you missed the action...

Ultimately, after you have found a lot of these spots you can check food sources or river crossings, or trail cameras and relate it back to which beds the buck is likely using at that time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 am

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am

How did u add the letters and star like that to google earth?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
AvidHunter88

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback and the welcome! I appreciate it a ton. There's a food source pretty close by that I should be able to check to see if I can figure out when he's using it. As far as which way he's leaving the bed I'll have to go back and look a little harder to see if I can figure that part out. I'm pretty excited to give the Beast style a try!

Bayshorebuck - I use the "PrtScr" button on my keyboard when I have Google Earth open. It basically takes a picture of whatever is on your monitor. From there I paste it into PowerPoint, crop the image, and use Insert - Shapes to add the star, dotted lines etc. Or you can add text boxes. When you're done you can highlight everything, right click, and "save as a picture". If anyone's interested let me know and I can post a quick tutorial.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Being so close to the road, is there anyway you could glass via truck, or high observation stand to learn more about his bedding tendencies there?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”