Another hunter messing up your sit survey

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Another hunter messing up your sit survey

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:32 am

I haven't had this happen yet while hunting beds but curious to what you guys are experiencing. I think a lot of guys outside of bed know the general area where bedding is but not the exact spot and come busting in there area looking for a place to hang a stand. I know I have come in some places like this but I don't think anyone was hunting a bed. What do you stay put or get down.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetailassasin

Re: Another hunter messing up your sit survey

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:49 am

If it busts a buck from the bed I'm hunting, and he hauls it out of there, I'm packing up shop. If time permits head to another location, if not I'm game planning for my next hunt :lol:

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 am

Depends on how much time I have, a lot of my spots take some work to get back to. I alwasy try and have a plan B close by even if it is just a throw away hunt. When there isn't time for plan B or a big move I have done some scouting or setup in an observation stand hoping to see soemthing in the distance or luck into a miracle buck. I've had to go with plan B and C plenty of times, the only good news about spots that are hard to get to is most hunters in my area don't consistently get back there, they might show up for a year or two and then get lazy again. I just have to be patient with those spots and check them every now and then to see if the buck shows up again.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:54 am

I had something happen to me a few years ago and i thought my hunt was over. I was way out on some public ground hunting just off a ridge side. Had two guys come by behind me on four wheelers and there was no trails and four wheelers weren't allowed in there anyways. I had some good buck bedding off the ridge in a tall overgrown thicket. I had been glassing a buck not too far from this location for a few months before season. After they drove on off I got so mad and upset cause I just knew it was over but sat it out anyways. Ended up killing a good 10 point not 20 minutes after they left.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:30 am

If a man wants to be a dog for me, who am I to stop him?

I have had hunts ruined but also had success from other guys busting around in bedding areas.

I try to keep a good attitude either way. I am out to enjoy myself, and only I can ruin that.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:07 pm

I pout :lol:

Kidding.....I had this happen this year, then moved and proceeded to get rained on with bird shot :lol: I'm done with that spot. Time permitting I would probably move, depending on how bad I was buggered. As PK said, it's not all bad if a guy is pushing around, might drive something to you. If it happens often you are not hunting in the right spot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 am

I usually figure that im in the wrong spot if other hunters hunt there... Despite hunting heavy pressure land, I only have other hunters get in my spots a couple times a year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 am

Hunting small parcels like I do, with other hunters also having permission to hunt, getting messed up is quite common. A lot of the bucks I'm after, get killed by other hunters. I don't have an unlimited amount of ground to hunt so I do the best I can with what I have. I normally pick times when other hunters aren't there. Weekends are the worst. Rainy, rotten cold weather is the best. I do, what I have to do, and then do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:55 am

Good response Stanley... I'm in the same boat as you....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:00 am

I rarely get messed up by another hunter. Bowhunting I am always seeking spots where nobody else hunts and keep my distance from easy to access areas.

During the rut somebody walking in on you doesn't always mean a ruined hunt. Back in 2009 I remember a guy walking in on me and proceeded to talk with me for a bit. Thought my hunt was screwed but decided to stay put. Shortly after a hot doe came past dragging a nice buck with her. The rest of that evening hunt was was unbelievable..........I saw 5 bucks that would have scored 130" or better yet never had a clear shot since they were cruising so fast! :doh:

Lesson learned......stay sitting during the rut if I have confidence in that spot beforehand. If I had packed up and left I never would have experienced one of my best days hunting.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:35 am

Some great responses coming that we all could learn from. Until you run into another beast at your spot. Lol

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:32 am

I killed a nice 3.5 y/o after listening to a 15 yr old rip around on a atv about 75 yds away FOR TWO HOURS. He stopped about one hour before quitting time. Boy was I mad - I had no plan B and was on 25 acres. Buck got up about 15 minutes after the dust cleared, left his bed and cruised right into the doe bedding area as if I called the play in a huddle.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:37 am

Ya during the rut I don't mind seeing other hunters or wolves, I figure they are making a drive for me. Many times I have had them push me deer or have seen deer circle around the hunters/wolves after they pass. Just part of the fun.
Master Chief

Unread postby Master Chief » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 am

dan wrote:I usually figure that im in the wrong spot if other hunters hunt there... Despite hunting heavy pressure land, I only have other hunters get in my spots a couple times a year.

x2. Around here it is a bit inevitable that someone will wander in some of my spots at some point as there is A LOT of pressure here, but I avoid that pressure as much as possible.

If you begin having problems with others walking in on you, it is time to move.

semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:00 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:I had something happen to me a few years ago and i thought my hunt was over. I was way out on some public ground hunting just off a ridge side. Had two guys come by behind me on four wheelers and there was no trails and four wheelers weren't allowed in there anyways. I had some good buck bedding off the ridge in a tall overgrown thicket. I had been glassing a buck not too far from this location for a few months before season. After they drove on off I got so mad and upset cause I just knew it was over but sat it out anyways. Ended up killing a good 10 point not 20 minutes after they left.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X2. This year while hunting a public park a man walked through at sundown. He walked right under my stand going away from me and then on his way back took the same route. 10 mins later 2 does emerge and walk his trail right under my stand. Shot 1 of them at 10 yards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”