Solo trip

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinnurse
500 Club

Solo trip

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:38 am

Went to one of my best spots yesterday afternoon (heck all of my spots are a best spot!!!) after driving home from Abilene and nearly falling asleep when I got to Gatesville. Ironically, by the prisons!!!! Slept 3 hours, showere and was at my pecan bottoms after 5. A bit late, but, I made lemonade out of that lemon!!!!
I no sooner get to the trees, look over my shoulder and what do I see, a doe and 2 fawns not 25 yards from me and coming closer!!! I decide that she is not bothered by me and as cooly as I can I meander to the tree to see if I can pick up the bow and take her. She and kids were behind that big, I mean huge pecan tree that Arron helped me put up a 2 person ladder stand. no more than 12 feet up. I like room!!!!
Well, she and fawns decide it might not be such a good idea so they go back up into the woods. I climb up in the stand, hoist my bow on this beautiful, breezy and swirling windy afternoon that Jeff Murray (May he RIP) says is an excellent day to hunt, especially afternoon dusk time. The moon directly overhead. And he was right!!!! It was 5:30 when she and twins came back out (not even 5 minutes from seeing her before). Here she is:
She is about 30 yards to my left and back from where I was sitting. She stops around there, turns about face, and walks behind anoter huge pecan. I stand, draw and hold for about 3 minutes. She continues to the feeder. Stops between 2 large hanging, fully loaded branches. I steady the pin on the boiler room, and let it fly (30 yards). She steps forward. Ughhhhh!!!!! I hit her in high in the right hind quarter!!!! And the arrow is straight thru, but still in her. Fletching on right side and I can see the broadhead out the left (only for a second or 2 ). She tries to run, but the right rear leg is not helping her much, she's dragging it more than stepping with it.
Of course the fawns hightail it back in the woods. I nock another arrow, scoot down to see if she's in the field and I need to finish the job. I don't see her but I know where she went. And I beleive she wanted to get to the fawns. So I climb back up and wait for what I'm thinking should be more deer coming out as they pile out at this spot. None come closer than 200+ yards, so I get down at 7, to have a little light to help. Find the shot spot with blood and a trail. Go get my car and by then it is dark.
I pick up the blood but can't see it as well in this freshly hayed field. So with that I go with instincts. Did I ever tell you I have great instincts???? I knew the direction she went, the direction the fawns went and figured they would try to meet around 80 yards directly to my left. She tried, she was 60 yards from the shot and as I suspected when she ran, severed the femoral artery!!!!! Massive hemmorrhage in the belly, I missed any gut or poopshoot, she fell in stride as he head was turned to her left and nearly broke her neck when she dropped on her left side pushing the arrow back out. So when I found her, she had that beautiful pink Victory Force (For the Cure) arrow completely covered in blood including the fletching, sticking straight up!!!!!!I tell you hot pink arrows really show the blood!!!!! She died within 1 min or less of the shot.
I took a few pics, and attached the hog Hauler (my friend Mark- Greywolf in Hawaii made me for the hog I took there) and brought her out to the edge of the field, turned on my headlights and proceeded to clean, quarter and get the backstraps. The belly was too full of blood, I gave up the tenderloins as I did not want to take the risk of puncturing the wrong spot or cutting myself. Had her in the cooler before 9PM. I didn'y cut myself at all til I was cutting a bag of ice and nicked a finger!!!!! I have a custom made antler handled knife that was made by Rapid River Knifeworks in Michgan I won in a contest a couple years ago. This was only the 2nd time I got to use it. the first was the spike I took last fall, which was also the first buck I have ever taken.
The property I have limits me to does and spikes only and I am perfectly happy about that. I am a little bit (ok, alot) proud of mysself as this is the 1st time I have hunted, killed, drug and cleaned a deer by myself.
The yotes had a good meal last night with little work on their part. Oh, and the crows started squawking within a minute or 2 of the hit. I knew she was down!!!!!
Where the shot ended up hitting her, is NOT a shot I would purposefully take, but it was the way it was and I knew she was a dead deer, without doubt. I know deer anatomy, and was 99% sure I hit the femoral artery. And it proved to be right!!!! She was stiffening up when I found her.
Not easy to take a pic in the dark by yourself!!!!!!

Back at it this afternoon!!!!!!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Solo trip

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:47 am

Congrats, Deb! 8-)
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 am

Nice work Deb, Congrats !!! My nephew killed a buck a few years ago the same way, hit that artery, & was piled up 100 yards away.. but he was using the rage broadheads & really left a big hole... he was not happy with his shot placement, but hey, it happens...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:02 am

Great story!! I don't know what It Is but It seems every time I read a story lately of someone shooting a little far back they hit that artery. It's so tiny!!! Lol!! A big congratulation's to you!!! A big achievement as well!!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 am

Awesome Deb!!! Don't you have a self timer button on your camera? If so, prop that sucker up on a log/rock/pack and become a star :D
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:11 am

way to get 'er done, Deb- congrats on the doe! 8-)
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:06 am

nice job! good luck w/ the rest of your season
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 am

Awesome! Congrats!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:12 am

8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Hey CONGRATS to you!!! Love your story too!!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Nice! Congrats!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Way to go deb. I predicted you would be shooting some hearts out. But take what lemonade you can get.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:42 pm

CONGRATS DEB! :D :D :D
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks all!!!! It was fun for sure. Tonite, the deer won. Only bucks I can't shoot came in and the does stayed a couple hundred yards from me, running/cruising back and forth across the fields as if they wanted to play. That's hunting!!!! Getting some "to die for" snack sticks made from the doe last night (of course I kept the backstraps as backstraps) and a gun rack/bow rack made from her feet!!!!! How cool is that????
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Go go go!!!! 8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”